Tuesday, June 24, 2008

blog fodder

Sharon and I came into town last night- did more shopping and heaps of laundry. Also had a soak in the tub with sea salts... ahhhhhhhhhh.... Today, we're off to Odessa and then on north by train. We finish preps up there while the others are at the first week of special days. Next week, they'll all pile in where we are- will be nice to all be together.

So, one quick post and then I need to run. Here it is... it's a nightmare... and a good one.

What with all the painting going on, we ran out, so Sat am, I made a quick trip into town to get 1 more bucket. Fine. Got it. And got some pillows and blankets and odds and ends (including a toilet seat!) that we needed. Managed to make the 10 am bus, which was jammed to the gills and hot. I was one of the last on, so got to stand. No biggie- I was just glad to be there…until, somehow—don’t ask, I don’t know—that bucket of paint (approx the equivalent of a gallon) gulp got knocked right over…and wouldn’t you know it, the lid popped off. We all just stood there for about 30 seconds watching in shock as this beautiful pearly white lake spread under the seats and into the aisle…and then everyone began yelling at the driver to STOP. We were just pulling out of bus station, so he parked and then quickly came to see what was going on…I guess he could tell it was a big deal. Well, we won’t go into all the details- suffice it to say that, although he’s a pretty decent, low-key sort of man, he yelled and yelled and yelled at me…until I finally started to cry. I was afraid I would- I’m a bit like that- but was trying hard not to. My first thought was that I should get it back into the bucket, quick, so that I could use it. finally, the driver tracked down the bus station cleaning lady who came, took stock of the situation and came back with rags and set to work; someone else ran for a huge stack of newpapers- that’s supposed to be really good for paint they say. I ran to the bazaar for turpentine (of course, folks, this was oil-based paint—nothing so easy as water-based, Oh No). everyone calmed down and the bus left…but I had to go back to the bazaar to buy more turpentine and rags (not to mention paint); got myself somewhat cleaned up and caught the next bus out. Yest, Bill came out on the bus with that driver- and the driver’s calmed down and was laughing at it by this time, thankfully. It was a nightmare…totally.

14 comments:

  1. A nightmare, for sure!! It sounds like you did the best you could have, given the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your day was far more "memorable" then you would like. It makes us glad for the ordinary days when we feel we don't have anything to share.
    Let's see.. I got up, ate breakfast, wrote some letters,... You do tend to have a lot of "train stories" though. Glad it is all a memory now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh... when stuff like that happens it makes me sick to my stomach... :)but it does make for good stories later

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Sounds like you made up for it, though, with a bath salt soak in the tub.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh, is right! sure you can come help stain or even better yet, we'll be painting soon:) Hope you don't have any more days like that.

    ps - i think it's cool how innovative they are over there w/ their bicycles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that the first few people to comment were full of sympathy for you and your situation. I am too, but I must admit that I laughed til tears ran down my face. Also, did you really plan on getting all of that stuff and returning with it on the train? By yourself? Next time paint is needed you'd better disappear to the cellar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. boy, makes my day look a whole lot easier. Wish I could have been there to dry the tears!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh me oh my... all these things that start out so simple and can be complicated in a second... the journey of life... keep plodding on through all the ups and downs.... and have good special days!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure hope the next time you're on US soil and standing on a platform that you share at least one of these awesome stories with the masses that aren't looking at your blog. But then I wonder how you spiritualize spilled paint? Hoping for special days ahead (that don't involve terpentine)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your stories, Anita. They always seem to put a smile on my face!! Thanks for sharing!! Love ya, Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tears for you...for a second...then smiles of course! Way to make yourself quite known around town. Saw a rainbow on the way to mtg tonight and was reminded there is always one in the sky somewhere...just not always in "our part of the worlds" view.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the bus driver should have thanked you for repainting his bus floor! it probably needed it...or, not really?? ;-)

    of course it turns out to be a funny story for us readers, but i can imagine it was NOT funny AT ALL when you experienced it! woops!!!

    otherwise, could you please send me your e-mail for a more private note? thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yelled at you? i would have cried just like you did and more...wept unconsoleably. i'm so sorry this happened to you! you should have told him he's not supposed to yell over spilled milk..or white paint either. glad he shaped up by the next day? how about you?? hugs.

    ReplyDelete