Friday, June 20, 2008
The big bad
Cellar. This is the scariest thing you can hear around here: Oh, you need the paint supplies/empty juice jars/drinking water/whatever? Well, it's down in the cellar. Approach that mysterious trap door with caution, gently lift the door upwards to expose the daunting depths below... Trying not to let your knees knock together too much, very very carefully lower yourself onto the top rung- this is the hardest part for me. I have this awful feeling of impending doom every time...a certainty that I'm going to misjudge something somehow and swing out into nothingness and abruptly meet the cement floor below a short time later. The other awful thing about it all is: You can't tell me there's no mice (or worse) down there. Thankfully, it's clean and not too cluttered- and well-lit...so you can basically see everything BOOM right off. Anyway, I'm always happy to have something ANYTHING else to do if things sound like they're leading up to a trip to the cellar. Like I really need to go scrub out the john with a toothbrush...was just on my way...in fact, I've already started and there's a long line of anxious folks waiting and there's bleach in it right now and I really have to go finish that so those poor souls won't die...yup...right now...so sorry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


wow, think i would find some toilets to clean too:)
ReplyDeleteYou're hilarious! That's my exact feelings on going to our basement. I think I'd feel 10x that if I had to go down the ladder like you do in the cellar. I don't like our basement mostly 'cause it's dark and broken up into lots of rooms and I'm always afraid of who's waiting down there for me - as if...
ReplyDeleteYou are a hoot!!:-) I thought our basement at home was pretty bad growing up, but I think the cellar would creep me out more!!
ReplyDeleteIt was always a little creepy when Mom asked us to go get some canned goods out of the pantry in our basement, too. Can we say spiders? I HATED any task involving going down there.
ReplyDelete