Sunday, August 31, 2008

a rainbow and a bit of uniqueness

The train tonight is a late one- like it leaves just before midnight. So, I'm just cruising around my files, seeing what I've missed and forgotten that you really REALLY need to know/see. Like this (actually, it's brand new- from tonight!) Just turned my head, turrrrn, to see what was going on outside and saw this absolutely fantastic double rainbow! It was dry here but obviously there was moisture in the air somewhere. It was the most beautiful one I've seen in a long time. The cell phone doesn't quite do it justice, but you can see that it was very clear and well defined.
Ahhh yes, and this little bit of uniqueness- we met her on the streets of Ternopil last week. You can't tell here, but she was carrying on a very loud animated conversation with no one at all (or everyone?)- well, the 2nd pic you can sort of imagine that she's carrying on; she was telling people off is what. Somehow, these pix don't portray how completely unique she was. Occasionally, you see people like this and I always hope they make it home again without coming to any harm. Mental illness is not well-understood here, nor do they understand much about treating it.


9 comments:

  1. It may be my after Malcom fog, but I'm having a little trouble following where you are with whom!! But until I get myself back together, it's nice to see your pics and "hear" your voice!!! love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have post Malcom fog too, but wanted to let you know I told Jeff Hi from you! He felt smitten he owed you letter(s) plural he said. Awesome days to say the least! And let the laundry begin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've seen her before, poor thing, but she looks kind of happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did my mother get over there?? What??? ;-) ok, ok, I'll be nice...
    Seems quite a few of us were enjoying the Malcom days, but soon it will be WI's turn. Looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll lay claim to the "Malcom fog" excuse, too, but look at that rainbow!!! It takes my breath away in the picture, so I can only imagine what it was like in real life. Wow. It pays to take a look around every once in awhile, huh? And um... when you were talking about uniqueness, I thought maybe that's what I'll be looking like/doing not too far down the road. Especially if birthdays keep coming at the frequency they have been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the sky color as well as the rainbows!! wow! good shot! and that's interesting about what they do with persons with mental illness over there ( nothing). i wonder if that is such a good idea? Although she looks well put together..sort of how i look most days around here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i had a neighbour just like this lady...in Paris! she always looked odd (and acted accordingly) -but her outfits gave me a good laugh and helped me being cheerful in the early morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was nice to think of so many of you last week at McCordsville and Malcolm. Soon is WI...
    Jo ann- right now, Kyiv; I've been helping move the bach I was in last year, though; we often move around quite a bit here, though.
    linda- ;) thanks for delivering the greetings. Happy Laundry!
    alleykat- yeah- she has a twin sister in every city. funnily enough, in spite of appearances here, she wasn't happy that day.
    manders- haha- believe me, your mom is way cuter...and saner...and and and
    lani- ha- I can just see it... although you need a few more bdays I think...
    ethel- well, they try to help people with mental illness- but they approach it very aggressively (like Dr's yelling at the patients, threatening them; the stigma attached to mental illness is far greater than what we're used to)... it's just sad, actually. Looking back at those 2 pix, I realize she looks nearly normal; the pix don't at all portray the scene that day.
    kristina- :) maybe she'd just arrived from Paris???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pics of the rainbow!! And as for the lady of uniqueness...I actually know someone who dresses like that, but she is quite normal in all other aspects of life.:-) Sounds like they could use a few tips in dealing with mental illnesses over there...poor dear.(The lady in the pics...not you!;-)

    ReplyDelete