Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Pan

You wanna hear some serious screaming? Then listen closely....
I suggest that all annual gatherings everywhere adopt the Barcelona bread system... whereas they have a special wood-fired outdoor bread oven....
where they bake all the bread for all of preps and all of the special days for all of the people... 17 loaves at a time...
oh my goodness sakes
the master bread maker; after he makes the bread (pan), he takes out each loaf....
and puts each one back into the oven with this completely cool bread paddle...
it makes each loaf perfectly crispy/hard on the outside- a perfect European bread. It is honestly the best bread, hands down, that I've ever had.... Viorel was going to try to get the recipe to take back to Ukr eventually. It makes a perfect bread: wonderfully soft on the inside and hard on the outside.

can you hear the screams from panicky sisters everywhere????

and my crazy laughter... hahahaha

the bread process begins hours ahead of the actual baking when he builds a good hot wood fire in the stove, lets it burn down and then rakes out all the coals (the bricks retain the heat)
Meanwhile, he has a huge mixer going where the dough for 17 loaves is being made. All of this is in a special little kitchen outside in their courtyard- as near as I could tell, this kitchen is used exclusively for bread. The 'summer' kitchen (which is really used year round) is next door to the bread oven.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely delish! Mom n Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like the best...thumbs down, oh...I think I mean HANDS down... hahahahahah

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..that takes dedication. why is it that Europeans seem to just have more patience?

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course, besides (possibly) having more patience, there were only about 220 people there... he got up at 3 am to start it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm kinda all for it. If I get to do the bread making. And that be my ONLY JOB. K? Sound good?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooooo, I can almost smell it now!!! What I wouldn't give to have a warm slice with butter and homemade stawberry jam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's totally awesome! Love the pictures, and commentary gave me a good smile & chuckles today! :*)
    Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. fine with me, laura, if you do the bread baking- can I be there, too? We'll invite Sharla to make strawberry jam...mimisusan can bring some of that pepper jelly (I'd like to try it!) Let's just have a fresh bread party! ;)

    ReplyDelete