Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Just a little reminder

This electronic age is really great in a lot of ways. Because of web cams and excellent high speed internet, I can watch my nieces and nephews grow up, blow them kisses and have wonderful little chats just about whenever I want. If I remember at the last minute, I can still get a B/day card out to someone. If we need to be in touch about something, it's fast, easy, painless and no one has to talk to an answering machine to leave a message for someone who's out. It also flies out your realm and into mine and is irretrievable with one split-second barely noticeable miniscule exertion of effort.

Which brings me here: be careful. Most message programs have auto completion- you start typing, it quickly scans your contact list and list of recently used addresses and pops up names that match what you're typing. My point is- twice recently I've received messages that weren't intended for me. The first was completely innocuous and we had a good laugh. Last night's was not. It wasn't for me, it wasn't nice and I doubt the sender would really want it to have gone astray like that. Nor was there anything trey could do about it after one tiny click of the mouse.

So- make sure you're sending to the person you have in mind and remember that electric communication is not always as private as it seems.

Thank you (steps down off soap box).

update: I doubt that the author of the 2nd message even knows about this blog, so it really was just a reminder for all of us, me included. It's too easy to do stuff that we might really be sorry about later. That's all...

6 comments:

  1. Good advice. I usually do a check and re-check who it is going to. But I really try to not say snarky things about others on e-mail. Really. It isn't worth it. Ever. We leave now for IA. For some reason, I am more excited about this one more than I ever have before. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. uhm, was it from me??? wow how scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. world traveller and I have many experiences like this, since our first names are the same! But luckily they are from my good ol' dad, who loves us both! :) So poor WT is always getting emails meant for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha....wait...what does innocuous mean?:-) Yes, it is good to pay attention(in spite of being blonde and pregnant) and it's also a good thing to be nice when emailing...I agree...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reminder. The only real privacy one has is in the closet and Joseph still finds me there.

    ReplyDelete