Sunday, August 31, 2008

next up

somewhere recently I saw this wild chicory, which is one of my all-time favorite wildflowers. too bad the pic is so bad. It was gorgeous, as I recall.

Last week, I spent Sun afternoon through Tues on the road to and in Drohobych, where we've had an apartment for the last Oh, must be 5 years or so. I hauled my junk (it hurts me to call it that, but I guess a little self-inflicted pain here isn't such a bad thing) up to Lviv and shipped it via the railway's baggage service to Kyiv. Then, I headed over to Ternopil (there was some other running around in there- like back up to Lu, spend a night and then hours on the bus Wed- whatever- I spent so much time on buses last week that my ankles looked to be permanently swollen by the time I got back to Kyiv on whatever day it was... Thurs? Fri? Don't remember). So, the deal is, Sharon A and I trotted around Ter looking for an apt. We found a really beautiful one- the kitchen made Sharon have heart pains I think... but, besides that it was 50 times nicer than what most people here have, it also was on the edge of town with no transportation near it to speak of and no grocery store nearby. Sharon later found one with her all-time favorite grocery store, Furshet, right next door practically. Another highlight of that trip was getting back to Kyiv (on whatever day it was) with flea bites all over the lower part of both legs... now that was special... or not. I was going to say I'd really like to know how fleas get into hotel rooms... but then again, I don't think I want to know. Maybe I should do like SOMEONE I know and start carrying a flea collar around...
So, yeah. It was a fun week. And tonight, I'm off to that part of the world again- Vasyl and Serhiy and I load up a van with all the stuff (Sharon packed it and is headed back over to T to clean the new place- you wanted to know that) and then chug on over with it. Oh my. Oh me. It'll be nice to get them settled.
In other exciting news, this is what the driveway looks like over by the Droho apt- it was all pitted and pot-holed the whole time we lived there, now it's brand new redone asphalted, whatever. Lovely.

and also the little path out to somewhere or other. Wow.

The miniature mountain of stuff that came to Kyiv to live with me. Whose is it anyway? Please come take it... I'm sick of hauling your stuff around. Oh right. It's mine. Sighhhhhhh

We'll see if we can get some moving pix... those should be fun. yup.

6 comments:

  1. As usual, I enjoyed following along with you this evening and I had quite a journey with you!! Life with you is so different that life in WYOMING!!! Not even our dog has fleas here!! Please give Sharon A. our greetings. Linda L in WY

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA I bet you DO wish you had a flea collar now!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, i know someone (who's related to me, so you know who that is..) who used a flea collar -and it worked! think you should try too!!! :-D

    also impressed by the renovated pavement! wow they do actually invest in that, sometimes?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I missed my cue there, what I meant to say is that I've worked over there for 14 years and I've never seen any fleas, bedbugs or even drunks on those trains. ya, and just call me Candide, from the "best of all possible worlds"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda L- sometimes I'm amazed at how normal life here seems to me now, since it is so different than the States. there are advantages and disadvantages to both. however, I'd give up the fleas in a heartbeat!
    alleykat- yeah, where's your flea collar- funny, we just moved all your stuff and never found the collar; did you take it along?! your last comment cracked me up... Ok Candide... stop, my sides hurt, snort, gulg gasp
    miss kris- I believe your relative was under the influence at the time... the alleykat influence. however, it does seem to work. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with it all

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I think I would have a hard time adjusting to a flea collar...hmmm...my harness and leash were traumatic enuf!:-) Good luck with that...and good days!:-)

    ReplyDelete