Thursday, August 14, 2008

Muy frio

or is that 'mucho frio'? hmmm, No, I think it's muy... (I won't be held accountable for spelling though)

See, we're here in Spain. Spain is hot. Especially in the summer. So I didn't even pack a sweater, a jacket, a long-sleeve anything. Nada. Nothing. No-thing.

Do you know what 'frio' means? Yeah. It doesn't mean 'hot' I'll just say. Well, here in Madrid it sure hasn't been hot yet. Wow. Amazing. As in, I have goosebumps.

Now, the very idea of having goosebumps in August in Spain is so totally wonderfully great that it, well, it gives me more goosebumps. Like my goosebumps have goosebumps. Yup.

And get this. There's a fair number of people here. I'm only concerned with the female types, so I'll tell you that there are 23 of us...as in my kind. Plus Mrs Lady-of-the-home. Ok, now 3 of those 23 sleep somewhere else, so that's 20. 3 are out in the girls' sleeping tent, that's 17. The rest of us are in 5 rooms in the house. The one room has this amazingly cool balcony off of it. This balcony is so cool that it turns the corner of the house, has a nice tile floor and a waist-high wall. No roof though. So, usually it's so hot that to survive, people move their mattresses out onto the balcony. So we did. I mean, in Spain, in the summer, you have a totally cool balcony off of your room and you're NOT going to go sleep on it?! No way. So here we are. And I'm telling you, my goosebumps have goosebumps. There's also a major 'zephyr' whistling around here... in fact, it might just might be a tad bit more than a zephyr... like maybe an actual wind... or a gale.

I just hope my blankets stay on all night. And that my mattress doesn't blow away in the night. If it does, I hope it dumps me off first.

That's all.

9 comments:

  1. oh giddyness. i'm the first to leave a comment on this funny one. oh, but it's not funny. i , for one, do not like to be cold when attempting to sleep! and one needs their sleep to maintain your perky upbeat attitude! find a hat..they say that keeps the heat in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing so hard inside that it almost spilled out, and it is bedtime here in the sleeping quarters, it was nearly disaster. You rock. Well, it is MUY HOT here in WA and I'm all disgusted because it is SUPPOSED TO RAIN in WA for Pete's sake, so all I brought was a jacket and a vest, to wear with....tee shirts. Yep. And so what am I wearing during these special days? Tee shirts. I'm blaming the weather. Have good days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wonderful, I am so happy for you! The weather in Poland was so nice too, warm during the day but nice and cool at night! Have a wonderful wonderful wonderful time!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if I've told you this once, I've told you 100 times...I never go anywhere without a lightweight wool sweater and a wind breaker.
    Wool socks are good too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, what goes bump in the night? The goose or the gander? I hope you didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seneca was surprisingly pleasant as well. Not sweat pouring off our faces during meeting like usual. It looks like it should only be in the 80s for Brownstown, but rainy. Maybe the forecast will change...

    ReplyDelete
  7. :)

    ethel- heehee, I'll look for a hat to borrow! that cracked me up! what kind do you reckon??

    laura- no disasters in the sisters' quarters after lights out! now really! *snerk*

    jo ann- the weather in Poland was nice- you must be back already. wow.

    yes, I know, kittykat- but you and I have such different thermostats; I just can't see myself bothering with a sweater. Anyway, this is where some people keep their extra stuff, so Tracy dug into hers and got out a fleece for me...

    haha- this time it was the goose that didn't go bump in the night... there are NO ganders around these parts!

    mishelle- I am happy for everyone that was at Seneca. cool days make such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could have posted this same post to describe my stay in the hospital with Craig. He was hot. All the time. And it was FRIGID in that room. I wore thick socks and a wooly sweatshirt and heavy sweatpants with two blankets piled on top of me. And I still had these goosebumps you speak of. So I hear ya on this one. Thanks for a chuckle, though. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've often thought it was a bit weird how hosp rooms are so freezing cold when the patient is stuck wearing next to nothing and the blankets are super thin.

    ReplyDelete