Thursday, August 19, 2010

lucky dog


Lucky dog!
onward
Remember how hot is was? (Yes- WAS!) Mon afternoon, cold air just sort of meandered in- I don't know how it happened- no storm, no wind, no nothing- just suddenly, it cooled off. And it's been really nice ever since. Don't get me wrong- it's still not hard to sweat- cool is down from high 90's and over 100 to high 70's and somewhere in the 80's... But- It is definitely better! Yay! In fact, it has that early fall feel. 

Last post, someone asked re recipes using egg whites- the only thing I do with them is angel food cake which is delightful! Here's the recipe And- you can freeze your egg whites and save them until you have enough for a cake. (Phyllis always collected them and used them for meringue on pies.)

My 5 year old niece lost a tooth and started school. :( Stop. Right now. You're a tiny baby, don't you know? I'm not ready for this. In fact, her slightly younger cousin, my beautifully blonde tiny baby nephew was also starting school. Who says they're old enough for that? I need to cuddle them yet... 

And let's not even talk about the twins heading off to preschool. Or the 'big boys' in 2nd and 3rd grade. I can't imagine what it's like to be a parent and watch them sail away from you. How do you survive? 

Daddy Cats sometimes kill kittens (I've heard it's because they perceive them as a potential threat to their own position as the dominant male in an area). Whatever- the little guy over at the farm I just spent some time at has a shoulder wound- Daddy tried to kill him. But Mommy is so fierce she saved Baby and Mean Daddy was sent packing. But- when you can't sleep at 4 and 4.30 and 5 in the morning because you had too much coffee the day before because there was no coffee the 2 previous days because they'd run out and there was no store close- ok- well then a little coffee is too much and you can't sleep and you hear cats squalling you get all worried for Baby and hope he's not being mauled and decapitated or worse (worse?) by Mean Big Nasty Male Cat... it's not really pleasant at 4 something in the morning. But Baby was found safe and sound later all curled up in his nest. But I'm afraid his days are numbered. This seems to be a very persistent Ugly Cat. It's a rough world.

11 comments:

  1. The weather has cooled down here too.. that's because we just had A/C put in :) Where's the recipe? We were next to K & M at Yellow Springs too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About kids starting school...truthfully, when you're with them day in and day out and they're not always the cute little angels you'd like everyone to think they are, school is a welcome break for Mom. Of course, I do think about time passing and how big they're getting, but it's all balanced :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice- it's a link in the post...
    Jenny- you have a point. I'm not with them day in and day out, obviously, so my perspective is entirely different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it's cooled down a little there! Soon as August hit here, I could feel fall coming. Tranquil days and cool nights.
    Remember little Bubba? He drove for the first time by himself this week! Where did my little Bubba go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time is passing oh so quickly...especially when you are trying to get your house built before winter;-)Hope "baby" makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy how fast it goes!! Glad your weather is taming down... we had a fall-like week & it was wonderful. Warm again now, but should be back : ) Hoping your kitten hangs in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you're weather is more tolerable! hard to think of kids being old enough for school...i keep thinking i have lots of time yet, but in reality i don't! hope baby kitty makes it!;0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. pffft...that should be "your" weather...;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. we had a few fall days...it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mom 2 4- hmm- I should ask how 'Baby' is! How's the house coming along?
    B,E,C,T,L&?- you need to update your name! ;) We're having a lovely fall!
    Heather- your 2 will be in school before you know it! Get ready!
    N- ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. sandy- I'm constantly asking what happened to all those cute little kids I used to make snowmen with... they're driving now?! What?! And get this- some of them have graduated and are in college... and are doing Big Person Stuff... yikes...

    ReplyDelete