Thursday, August 5, 2010

(fond) memories of winter

It's hot here. I know the weather's not worth talking about, really... but it sort of makes itself known these days. I get to feeling all nostalgic for winter...
Windows stay wide open day and night... a cockroach got in my window today, tried to hide under my bedroll (truly a bedroll- on the floor, it's cooler there) but I managed to smash him and haul his carcass out!
sorting, pitching, packing... amazing what I'm finding. Passport pix from back when I still looked like a kid. Wow. (pitched) Fun stuff. Boring stuff. Lots of stuff. Some I need, some I don't. Gave away a bunch of stuff. I like stuff... but enough is enough
Too hot to cook. We've been alternating between cold cereal, tuna salad and McDonald's. Trude came yest. Today she cooked us square meals. She's got stuff going for tomorrow, too. Amazing. She must not have noticed the heat. 

Did I mention the heat? Have a little keychain that's a thermometer. It stayed right at 97F on my desk all day... but I suspect it's not quite accurate. The humor* is fairly low and it's just scorching hot... which isn't 97F.
*a dear friend (whose native tongue is NOT English) recently referred to the humidity over and over again as 'humor'... needless to say, it stuck and we've been having a blast with it since!

5 comments:

  1. Just plan ol Melissa today ;)August 5, 2010 at 4:39 PM

    Talk about a frozen city! Those are actually really pretty winter pictures, especially taken that far up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WIL NOT come visit you in the summer. I've been wondering lately how people lived in "the old days" without AC. I think the lack of AC must be why they died around age 45! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At Buttonwillow convention a little girl many years ago said, 'it's not the heat, it's the HUMILITY'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's hot here too...in Ottawa (and in my house with no AC- yikes)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the way these pix turned out. They were taken at dusk.
    Susan- this is how they lived in the 'old days'... they did a lot of sweating.
    It's not the heat it's the humor! ;)
    do you have a fan Kristina?

    ReplyDelete