Tuesday, December 2, 2008

post #290

for lack of a better title

Spent a few hours out at the airport last week- accidentally got there a bit earlier than I'd anticipated. So, since there were no more seats left in the general waiting area (there aren't so many to begin with), I headed over to the food area- enquired about a cappucino at the coffee bar- 35 UAH... or about $6; at today's rate, it's only $5... ok, that doesn't really apply since I bought it at last Thurs' price... but I'm a bit amazed at how much the rate has changed the last 5 days. The US dollar is higher right now than it's been at all since I first came. This isn't really good, though, since it's because the local currency is frightfully unstable just now and a person hopes it won't collapse altogether. Anyway, all those things which I don't understand, let's just leave on the sidelines for now. The point is- this was my cappucino... and Oh Mama Mia- it was delish! Pretty too. And came with a yummy piece of good chocolate. Plus there were all kinds of rather interesting people to watch while I leisurely sipped...Yesterday started early with a trip to downtown. By noon, we were finished with official stuff and meandering through the downtown area, scouting out the fancy schmancy food bazaar and looking for a place to eat lunch. Spied this... which is only significant because my brother has been an off-and-on Papa John's delivery guy for a long time... years and years... and here, in Kyiv, lo and behold- a Papa John's pizza place... only it doesn't look anything at all like the chain in the States... I reckon they liked the sound of the name or something and just stole it.
We didn't try it. Went across the street toI had tomato basil soup and half a chicken caesar salad... still savoring that soup... thanks E & M!






7 comments:

  1. so is that Eric n Mary in the background?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have missed seeing the 30 cent coffee machine by the double doors where the passengers come through :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. uhh, no- that's Mary and me in the background.
    As stated earlier, somewhere, I didn't miss that machine- I needed a place to sit and a legitimate reason to sit there! Thus the cool coffee...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a cartoon sitting next to your cappucino? Somehow that seems fitting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a pretty cappucino, though I've never been interested in them myself. Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't listen to DH..The DH I know would have pointed out the same thing. I"m sure! Looks and sounds completely fab. Glad you had a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lani- that's the sugar packet with a cartoon on it and I was rather fond of it myself!
    jules- I don't send you f/b coffees anymore! lol
    ethel- yeah- cough cough- ummm

    ReplyDelete