Sunday, December 28, 2008

good intentions

tonight I had every intention of
  • catching up with emails

  • catching up with a whole lot of stuff that needs doing

  • writing my family

  • skyping a few people I've been thinking about

but I'm not doing any of it. I'm here, telling stories.

  • 1st one: I babysat a 6 week old baby once whose parents told me that if she got to crying too much, she was simply over-stimulated and needed to be parked in her swing seat with a plain white lightweight cloth draped over her head... she had 'over-stimulated baby syndrome' and needed to calm herself down. Well that baby is me right now. We've had heaps of company (and I love company, love to be with people, love kids)... but I feel the need of a white sheet, a corner (and some serious thumb-sucking???)... feel free to play the piano... I'll listen.
  • haven't told a drunk story in a longgggg time... (are you listening D? teehee) Was walking home from the store Sat am and met 2 bleary-eyed but still upright drunks. Sidewalks icy and very very treacherous. Drunks side by side... Suddenly, they both go over sideways, one right on top of the other, as graceful and easy as you please. I don't think their legs bent or anything- they were like two 2x4's that just tipped over... the guy on top groggily said "Normalno"- sort of like "No big deal"... everyone in the vicinity cracked up laughing.
  • 3 of us were side by side walking back to Ray and Kathy's (this is a few years ago, obviously) late one evening, when a drunk approached us, stopped, weaved around on his feet, narrowed his eyes and really did some serious contemplation. It was clear he saw a whole crowd there in front of him and was wondering how to get through.
  • Phyllis' story: Drunk meets identical twin girls on a city sidewalk. He's in the middle, so they simply pass him, one on each side. In wonder and amazement he says: How'd she do thaaat?
haha- I think I could get to love Chinese ankle scarves...

11 comments:

  1. I guess when I check in I need to stroll all the way through. I don't know if you ever heard that song, "Lean on Me"? Maybe we both need some one to lean on when we walk...I suppose not each other. I never realized falling hurt so much! I understand now why it is so serious when older folks fall. On this post...I think there can be an over stimulated baby in us all, but what I really like is the idea of just covering my head and making it just all go away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too, you know the adage of fish and company stinking after 3 days, well I've been here a lot longer than that, so that makes me nervous. I was gone for part of today though, and I spent Friday night with another aunt. I want to offer to make some food tomorrow. It's all ok, but I want to to keep being ok if you know what I mean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the drunks just swallow their "white cloth" rather than put it on face! Phyllis story made me lol literally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great laugh...and I like the white cloth idea...do you think it will make all my dirty dishes go away??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi.

    Hope you'll get rested up, upright and back on track before the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have no idea how you seem to read my mind! i am serious. i was just going to post an idea of "trading stuff" on the tea blog. I'm thinking about people posting pics of what they would be willing to trade off..and kind of do a trade/auction thingy at the start of the year? unfortunately..i'd love to give you my piano! it's a little hard to pack....

    ReplyDelete
  7. hugs by the way...when my 2nd child would cry for some reason or the other the tighter i'd wrap him up and hug him the happier he got..so hugs to you..sometimes they work pretty well too..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chinese ankle scarves. Those sound fascinating to me, too. ;) *goes back to thumb sucking in the corner* Unfortunately, I'm the only one around here that knows how to play the piano. I don't think I'd enjoy Kekoa or Gavyn or Craig's piano renditions much about now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is a great BIG hug topped with a white sheet and all wrapped up in a Chinese ankle scarf....;0) Think of you often!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have an "extra" white cloth? I think I need one too.... Wish you were here as I am alone and we could use our white cloths together with maybe a cup of coffee and some good... chocolate and let the world go by at least for a day!! :) Take care

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah- Phyllis' story is one of my favs...
    Kristen- you try the cloth on the dishes trick and let me know... lol
    Lani- I can see you enjoying Chinese ankle scarves... lol the boys on the piano. no kidding.
    Tammy- you don't need a white cloth anymore! enjoy the US!!!

    Had no idea how common this feeling was among my fellow humans :)

    ReplyDelete