Sunday, September 28, 2008

See this Mutt?


Yesterday we were out in a village visiting (here's a shocker) some people... yup. So we're walking from the bus stop to their house...and this dog sort of starts accompanying us. But she's peculiar because it's clear immediately that, while she's hovering around us, she has NO CLUE that we were there. So I watched her. She had a hitch in her get-along, for sure... sort of sway-backed, sort of hip dysplasia-ed (I'm not sure that's a real word, but let's just assume it is)... and she's a 100% serious, totally dedicated car chaser... and we just happened to walk along the stretch of road that was her responsibility... and she was responsible, let me tell you... she kept them informed of the rules along her piece of territory. And she had form... and a pattern... and a keen eye. I'm not just sure how she knew which cars needed informing, but she just did. She'd scope out every single vehicle, slinking along at a fast lope, swaying in the backend to beat the band and mostly she'd turn away reluctantly, apparently aware that they already KNEW... but then, ooooo, here comes another one... slink...lope...sniff...think... and Launch- really, she did this gracefully... and, get this, she always launched herself right at a tire. Now, I'm predicting that she dies a horrible death fairly soon. I mean, she touched some of those tires with her snapping teeth, I'm sure of it. I'd never seen anything quite like it. A true connoisseur of cars and tires and barking. She knew- she just knew- how to do it. It's her job.

As head of road-side security.

I'm going to call her Hankette... because she barked those cars along... and because she really is a SHE... I know...

5 comments:

  1. An absolute awesome post. I loved it. Thanks for the big belly laugh. I find dogs highly amusing and you summed it up perfectly! smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How entertaining. I mean the dog for you & your post for us. The things you see! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, & she looks so proud to pose for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually, this is one of those dogs I'd have taken home with me if it'd been an option... every now and again, you meet a dog like that. I do anyway

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh you said you didn't get the full circle thing, when I said I was on the edge of the Atlantic ocean, well a Ravenclaw would say a circle has no beginning, but what I meant is that I'm back to where it all began for me.
    and yes, it does look like your kind of dog.
    glad you like the stone age ponytail, I find it way awesome.

    ReplyDelete