This is an old post, too, that I'd not published... Chernobyl, is the name of a Northern Ukr'n city with a nuclear power generator. In April, 1986, as I'm sure most of you know/remember, there was a major disaster there. The accident is credited by some (many?) as playing a major role in the eventual disintegration of the Soviet Union. Because of the direction of prevailing winds, Ukr itself has not suffered nearly as much from this disaster as Belorus to the north has. NW Ukr, too, is considered part of the 'Chernobyl zone' and people who live there are the recipients of various government aid, although these programs are being cut back. Here are some links to Chernobyl (and you can find heaps more by googling it).
some pix
wiki
world nuclear association
KIDDofSPEEDghosttown
chernobyl legacy
chernobyl
I do find it very interesting to read about. I don't recall learning anything about it in school or it was passed over like we should know something about it. How sad is that.
ReplyDeleteHere is a picture of what it looks like in the entrance to the Museum where there is a list of the villages that people had to move from.
ReplyDeletehttp://ukrduane.googlepages.com/chernobylmuseuminkyiv
As you go in the museum it gives the names and as you leave you see the names of the villages with a red line through them which means you are leaving that village for good.
Don't eat the mushrooms in that part anymore either.
Stacy- I remember doing some current events stuff in school about Chernobyl when it happened. I reckon, though, that they maybe teach it more now, since it's history????
ReplyDeleteDuane- thanks for the url to that pic. I saw that museum once and it was enough- it's too awful for me to handle.