Monday, February 8, 2010

re the stove

2 posts down.

This is a typical stove- built of mud/clay. It forms most of the wall between the living room and the hallway. The living room has the niche in the wall that you see the kitten on. This is used for keeping things warm (and for keeping kittens warm!). Often, it is a long flat platform that is not enclosed and can be used as a bed. My first summer here, I slept on one of those things (not lit, mind you) for several weeks- put a mattress on top and there you go! Back in Jan 2008, I wrote about the death of a friend. During her final illness and weeks at home, her bed was on one of these stoves- it was the warmest place in the house and done especially so that she would be as comfortable as possible.

I'll have to see if I have some more pix of these stoves. The other side of the one in this post has the opening for adding wood (or coal) as well as the burners to use for cooking. They're a regular institution and very much a part of traditional village life.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Anita - I followed some blogs and ended up on yours. Just wanted to say "hi".
    Love being able to see a part of the life you experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the explanation to help us understand what life is like there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the stove explanation. Very interesting! Hope you have a little niche beside the cat to stay warm and get healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janis- wonder if you're the J who's some sort of kin to the commenter next after you?
    You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I claim him - most of the time. . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janis- ;)I think you're the only one I know who spells it that way. Hello to you and the family! Nice to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete