Monday, February 22, 2010

re buses

Just to clear up 1 misunderstanding about the 'Baba on the bus' post...
A pretty common practice here on buses: Passenger skips the ticket counter and goes directly to the bus, gets on and buys his 'ticket' from the driver (only the driver usually doesn't give him a ticket, just lets him stay on the bus). The driver then pockets (all/most) of the fare (I've always been under the impression that he keeps the whole thing, but actually, how would I know?) leaving the bus station completely out of it. The passengers do this because the driver will knock off all of the station fees and just charge for the trip- so the ticket is cheaper. For several years, a lot of bus stations have had controllers working the platforms, making people show their tickets and kicking ticketless passengers off the buses. This is a fairly new practice here in this town and always causes an uproar on the bus. Everyone yelling at the controller (the mean bus station lady) and the controller yelling back... but the controller always wins. EXCEPT- some passengers just go half a block from the station and wait for the bus to come by. They get on and pay the driver and go merrily on their way...

6 comments:

  1. How interesting! I love hearing about all of this!
    Miss

    ReplyDelete
  2. makes ya kinda glad you don't have the controller's job. especially when baba's riding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes..I was able to link on over here! When my blog got made over I lost a lot of links. Now I can follow you again. So happy!!

    Thanks for the heads up on the shoulder. I don't know that lady you are referring to, but I quiz people like crazy when I here they have shoulder issues, in hopes that I will find an answer somewhere. I have a good day and then go shovel 5 inches of heavy snow today and just like that can hardly left the arm again. Frustrating! Tis life.

    Once again...glad I found you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I wouldn't want to be a controller. At. All.

    ReplyDelete