Called Layna the next morning- woke her up, poor kid. Can you please come over here and help me get to the hospital? (We opted for the Sailors' Hosp- you have to pay for everything there (nothing covered by the State) so there are few lines and little waiting...)
offending foot covered in a bag. It hurt too much to try to put my boot on, so we did this to protect it from the snow...

Wish you could have seen the hosp... it was dark, wires hanging out in unruly mobs... loitering along the tops of the walls... and COLD... I mean, really cold... these were taken in the corridor outside the x-ray room (chamber?). When I got inside, I was quite amused to see the doctor wearing about 5 layers of heavy clothing AND his heavy fur hat. I don't blame him...was wishing I had one. And talk about being grateful that all I had to expose in there was my foot. I had my gloves on and my headband and winter coat... the whole time... very cuddly, let me tell you.
Back to the beginning:
We took a cab to the main entrance and went in. Talked to the Door Monitor. She looked at me (on Sharon's crutches- ha- 2 people living in this apt, both on crutches and hobbling- it was rather pathetically comical)... anyway- the door lady looked all dismayed and informed us we should have gone to a different building. She pointed it out. Out we go, down the steps and set off across a vast snowy plain... so it seemed on crutches. Layna ran ahead to find out exactly where to go. Got there (a lonnnngggg time later). Met the auntie from the night before- she works at the hosp- who looked at me in shock... Didn't I just see you on 2 feet, bouncing along? Well, yes... You see, when I left you all last night.... blah blah blah... She turned on Layna- Why didn't you get a wheelchair?! Poor L just stood there with her mouth open- honestly- neither of us even thought to ask for one. You have to be Really Special to get one of those... Auntie ordered poor L out of there and back to the main entrance to get one. I get settled inside. Auntie is hovering over me. L comes back without a wheelchair. It's broken, she says, Doesn't work. Auntie gets *this look* on her face and whirls out of there. And returns with a wheelchair of sorts... one of those walkers on wheels with a seat between the handles... It pays to know people... it makes all the difference...
anyway, we waited in the frigid corridor for the patient ahead of me and then a long time (30 min) for the film to be developed. Then back across the frozen tundra... plain... whatever. Only I'm sitting and L's pushing... and really, it's too bad not to have that on film. L couldn't see anything except my back so we went from snowdrift to snowdrift... I felt so sorry for her. She's a dear, though. Persevered and we finally got back. Up the steps, through the doors, see another doctor... who informs me: You will still live and still love! (Well that IS a relief, thanks!) He was a nice guy, really. Call a cab... and go home. Yay.
I learned a few things
- even one day on crutches leaves your whole upper body screaming in agony
- and your hands, too
- go slowly and deliberately and don't count steps... just go one at a time... slowly and deliberately
- slowly and deliberately (did I already say that?)
- a friend in need is a friend indeed
And I might be in the market for cleats! ;)
I thought I saw a comment on a previous post that mentioned the fact that it's often harder to get over a sprain than a fx. due to abusing the sprain. DON'T YOU EVER LISTEN????
ReplyDeleteHope you feel better soon. remember RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation).
Huh?! Calm down! I am being careful! This is all about the original injury!!! I'm Resting, Icing, Compressing and Elevating! No fears!
ReplyDelete