Saturday, February 6, 2010

another secret passageway*

*I realize this is a fairly loose interpretation of the term secret passageway
Howdy Hello! I've been quiet awhile again. Karen and I traded places not quite 2 weeks ago... so she's enjoying my cozy corner up in Kyiv and I'm down here in her pleasantly drafty (I like a good draft, thanks!) and very cheery space.
There is a lot of running around down here and, as always, lots of it is under your own steam... the '2 legged transport'. So, coming home today, I did some path documentation. There's a secret way (not all that secret, seeing as how every citizen of the whole city knows about it...but it's unpaved and unmarked and involves wending your way through shady places) to get from the street out in front (this is another loose interpretation) of the apt building to the actual apt. Here we go!
looking back the way we came... (see what I mean about everyone knowing about it? It's well-worn... even in the ice and snow)
turn around, face forward... we're heading this way... (the cement 'fence' may or may not border a school playground...I never can quite figure out where that playground really truly is...)
round the corner of the cement 'fence' and our path splits... we go to the right. The upsidedown V? Used to be a swingset...
aim for the gap... that's someone's unattached garage (like really unattached- it's in a 'garage park') up ahead...
someone scrawled 'child of the moon forever' on that garage...
hmmmm- What does that mean?
so now we're plunging on and marching through the garage park... there are more garages behind the row on the right... and there is often a stray dog with her pups hanging out back here. She's short and bedraggled... but fierce when it comes to her pups....
and emerging from the garage park- the row of dumpsters... these dumpsters serve at least 3 big buildings... nearly always overflowing... it's always amusing to toss a bag of trash in and watch a highly offended, startled and spitting cat fly out... I wouldn't do that on purpose, mind you, but I don't get close enough to check out the status of the dumpster before tossing, either...
so now- the home stretch. Garbage to the left of us (off the pic), one last garage to the right, another fence...and... laundry ahead...
yep... freeze-dries... (as Sharon says- Thank goodness, we don't have to hang ours outside... we have a niftly folding rack. My fingers get cold at the thought of the other...)
our building and our entrance dead ahead now...
ahh yes- and the "Liars' bench" outside the entrance... heavily populated in warm weather by all manner of people who while away the time in that beloved-among-many-peoples manner: ShootingTheBreeze
Empty today though...

3 comments:

  1. At least the path is well marked:)
    PS. Ahh, every wise chef has an aloe plant nearby. It looks quit healthy to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i laughed when i pictured the startled cat jumping out of the garbage! thanks for your funny posts...as always ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, this aloe is certainly a prize!
    I thought there was someone behind me... ;)
    Kistina- it's hilarious when a cat comes roaring out of there!

    ReplyDelete