Tuesday, December 15, 2009

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I've been going through my comics folder (news to you, I'm sure). This one reminds me of myself. Back in the summer of 2002. Karen, DeAnn and I roaming the streets of Lviv... yacking and chatting and doing the kind of stuff that women do when they're just enjoying the afternoon together. K&D were talking away and I repeating the word ринок (rynok- market) over and over just quietly under my breath like, just enjoying the company and the day and being alive... and all of a sudden, something happened that had never happened before in my life... see, unlike an English 'r', the Ukrainian 'r' sound has a slight roll to it... as kids, we'd goofed around with sounds and I could never roll my r's... never ever... and I hated it but had resigned myself to it... and here, lo and behold- that 'r' sound at the beginning of the word just rolled off my tongue and all the way down the street, around the block and back, stopping at my feet proud as a peacock. I was in shock. Stopped walking. Made the other 2 listen to my new-found ability... of course, it was no big deal to them... but to me? My life was never the same again

:)

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE your comics. Do you have a special site for comics only? Comics (should I use that word again in this comment?) can make a point when/where simple words can't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can usually identify with Mutts, too... still laughing about the rrr's rolling around at your feet. What a feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post. What it's about and how it's written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! That's funny. I have NEVER been able to roll my rrrr's either, and it drives me crazy. Especially when I attempted to take 3 years of spanish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan- there are several online sites where you can get comics. Here are the sites where I get mine:
    https://www.arcamax.com/comics
    http://muttscomics.com/
    http://comics.com/
    http://www.gocomics.com/

    oh yes, rolling my r's... I'm still amazed it happened! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I found your blog again..changing computers, I lost it for a while! Hilarious! XO Jo

    ReplyDelete