Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The News

I don't often have occasion to watch the news but we sat with our friend and her hubby tonight and did our best to keep up with the Ukie 7.00 evening news.

A popular teacher stole cattle and money from the village/town where he worked and has been arrested.

Flu season is upon us- L'viv Oblast is hardest hit so far (this is where our bache is- how exciting).

There's a hepatitis outbreak in another city in our field- being blamed on bad water, poor diet and poor handwashing habits... there was also something about water and stray dogs and cats and rats and basements of apartment buildings that I didn't get- well I do know that I hate rats and they tend to be in those big buildings- let's just kill them all.

The news was preceded by a clip of figure skaters- never ceases to amaze me. Really, I can't even put into words the beauty of it, so let's just say it's beautiful.

There was a bit about circuses and acrobats- how wonderful they are.

And there was a big thing on how popular football (that's soccer to North Americans) is- why? Well, they proceeded to figure out just how much various big time soccer players are earning- sometimes more than a million dollars/min (I assume this is per minute of time spent occupied with 'team business').

I had just decided that reading the news daily on the web is more to my liking- fast, and only if it catches my eye. Our friend, V, said quietly, "People just don't bother to think about where it's all leading to." Very nicely and simply put.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't my friend, V. Yuschenko, make it on the news that night?

    ReplyDelete