Monday, August 17, 2009

oooo- try this!

I'm trying to get some umph together to get back on track on this site. Although- this site has never been priority #1... or even #2 or #3. It's been something I've really enjoyed, though. So, while I try to get some stuff from the summer lined up, here's a New From Me Recipe (if you can call it a recipe)

I'm on a special diet... red meat... no joke...had some bloodwork done last week in which it was discovered that I'm anemic...and more than just a little with no In Your Face reason why, either. Dr said Eat lots of red meat- and she named every cut, kind of beef sold here in Ukr. I pinched myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Nope, wide awake and in the real world. It's the most fun diet I've ever been on... maybe the only diet I've ever been on since I don't really believe much in diets. Just try to eat moderately...that's my big motto.

ahem

Lots of beef and pork, She said; Not much chicken, She said.

I told Karen. K said Vegetarians aren't anemic. I said we shouldn't get confused, that we should stick to what the Good Doctor says. (Oh yes- and lots and lots of spinach. Popeye and I could be siblings seperated at birth... I love the stuff. Not from a can, though, come to think of it.)

So in the interest of rapid recovery, I got a couple of small roasts. Today I did one up. (This is what you should try, not the anemia bit.)

wash the meat (beef or pork) and pat it dry with paper towel then
  • brush on just enough olive oil to rub over the whole roast.
  • Cut slits into the top of the roast and insert slices of garlic.
  • Salt it top and bottom (I used coarse sea salt- it's fun, that's why).
  • Sprinkle liberally with your favorite herbs (I used a French Provencal mix that I love- consisting of: rosmary, thyme, savory, marjoran, basil, oregano).
  • Put a few dabs of butter on the top.
Slice carrots and chunk yellow tomatoes and place these around the sides of the roast.
Cover and bake on med-low for 90 min - 2 hours (or longer). Uncover the last 15 (or so) min.
Serve with rice- the juice from the tomatoes and meat is absolutely delish spooned over the top. Also good with potatoes.

6 comments:

  1. can't wait to try this when we come to Kiev! (this Wednesday, don't forget!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be trying this roast recipe. I have too many yellow tomatoes this year and not enough reds so I'm looking for ways to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good--the recipe part, not the anemia part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you had it Kat... did you like it? ;)
    lol- am still enjoying the cure!
    tinydot- imho- yellow tomatoes are the best ever

    ReplyDelete