first sighting of the Arch of Triumph (accompanied by a bit of construction/sidewalk repair)...
commissioned by... Who Else? Napoleon, of course. He left a huge mark on France (he was a Corsican by birth, though- did you know that?) Napoleon did not live to see the arch completed.
looking up at the underside of the arch
So Long, Paris. I loved meeting you and hope to see you again some day... but I'm glad I don't live ummm in you... and I'm really really glad I don't have to drive up and down your streets... lovely as you are.
commissioned by... Who Else? Napoleon, of course. He left a huge mark on France (he was a Corsican by birth, though- did you know that?) Napoleon did not live to see the arch completed.
looking up at the underside of the arch
and out from under it (I love sky shots- always have... can't help it... can't explain it, either)
this one is because... (ta-dummmm) There Are Gypsies In Paris Too... just as pesky and determined to beg rather than work as here... a bit cleaner, though.
and there was a mime... his Pharaoh costume must have been boiling hot this day...
first view of the Eiffel Tower
we didn't get off the bus here- there were crowds and heaps and gazillions of people there and we had a train to catch later- but this shot- I just loved the legs of the tower framing all the people and a bit of the city... and I like the dark/light contrast
we didn't get off the bus here- there were crowds and heaps and gazillions of people there and we had a train to catch later- but this shot- I just loved the legs of the tower framing all the people and a bit of the city... and I like the dark/light contrast
Good-bye Tower. We enjoyed seeing you. Good luck hanging out in the sky.
the military academy (Guess who studied here? Right- Napoleon. One of his teachers made the observation about him when he was a student here: Under the right circumstances he will go far.) I liked all the people hanging out on the mall... reminded me of my college days.
cool tree, eh? (I can only assume that was the point of this pic...) there were lots of trees
looking onto an island in the middle of the river. Built right up to the water's edge it was. We crossed the Seine River several times.
Notre Dame
this shot? hmm- the sidewalk below (from level 2 of a double decker bus)... did I take it because it reminds me Ukrn sidewalks? Where they set up stands of all kinds and sell everything under the sun? Could Be....
the Seine again. Loved these bridges...
and this shot? Well, this one is the street. :) Taken because... Because this street/bridge is paved with stones taken from the demolition of the Bastille. Wiki link for Pont de la Concorde this made a big impression on me because: Lviv legend has it that when the Red Army finally took Western Ukraine, the Soviets pulled down the 'High Castle' of Lviv (a beloved local landmark) and paved the city streets with the stones from it... to demoralize and break the will of the people... 

our bus
this was where we got off the bus... ahem... Do you know what this is?
well, this is inside that building... which just happens to be a huge shopping center... *grin* Galeries Lafayette
this was where we got off the bus... ahem... Do you know what this is?
well, this is inside that building... which just happens to be a huge shopping center... *grin* Galeries Lafayette
straight up to the dome
had coffee on the roof of the shopping center... these next are overlooking Paris from the roof





6 hours there was enough 4 me.
ReplyDeleteI studied French 4 years, spent countless hours memorizing these landmarks, and still have never gotten to visit there. It was all I could do to get my hubby to downtown Milwaukee this weekend for a little culture. I don't know if I ever will get to visit Paris. :(
ReplyDeletei looooove how you caught the gypsy peering out of the corner of her eye. sneaky.
ReplyDeletebut there's a lot of history there, Duane... don't you want to immerse yourself in it?
ReplyDeleteDiane- when the kids are grown and you're celebrating 40 years together (or some such thing)- treat yourself! And if hubby doesn't want to go, hitch along with someone else! Take- oh, I don't know- Summer or Chantal or a grandkid (I'm sure there'll be some somday!) or someone!
Linsy- that gypsy was sneaky, for sure
Loved your Paris pics...I love sky shots, too. :-) You did really well remembering what everything was! :-) Thanks for showing us the underside of the arch...don't get to see that usually.
ReplyDeleteglad you all liked the underside of that arch as much as I did. It's sometimes amazing what kind of detail goes into things that don't get the bulk of the attention. The arch was/is beautiful.
ReplyDelete