Saturday, July 26, 2008

Do this with your eggplant

Didn't think to take a pic of the first part of the process. Roast, no burn, whole eggplant as close to the flame as you can get it; flame should be fairly high and the eggplant should be right in it. Our stove is gas, so I just sat them right on the burner. (If you do it on the grill, you likely have to take the rack off... flavor is better if they're burned fast and totally charred.) Roast, no burn, turning from time to time, till nice and tender all through. *Note: creates quite a strong smell- which I sort of like, but you might not.


Hold by stem peel skin off with paring knife, making sure to get all the black charcoaly stuff. Rinse under running water. Cut off top and discard. Slice in half and place on a slanted cutting board so that the oil and water drain off. Pic over there at left.
Here's the skin and tops. pretty, eh?










Use a wooden (or plastic) spoon or spatula to mash up the eggplant, breaking up the long fibers that run the length of it. Be very thorough about this.
Mash garlic (plenty) with salt. With electric mixer, beat in milk and oil (lots of both- you want big-time creamy...sorry, didn't measure) and the salt and garlic. Beat and beat and beat until nice and smooth and Oh So Creamy and Yummy. Spread on bread and completely pig out- this is one of the tastiest eggplant dishes I've ever had...it is WOW! And if you want to see a video of the process, ask my mom. She and I did it when they were here 5 years ago...and she got it all on tape!



This is what the stove looks like when you're done- ashes all over. Quite a messy job, actually.

But it cleans up












Our stove is *magic* I can even lift the top right off and clean that, too... no screws in it at all...









All back together again! See, cleans up pretty well...and quite quickly, actually. Have fun! (just having fun with my trusty little cell phone camera! Thanks a million, Trude!)

5 comments:

  1. Weird. I am having some sort of strange deja vu here..I swear we did this at some point over there. I am thinking, down south, with Karen??? I swear....anyway, yes, this is a very tasty treat, and it is called "baba ganoush" and I love it. It is right up there with hummus. Speaking of which, I found a great place to eat here, it is called The Pita Pit and you can get pitas loaded with veggies and hummus...mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a kitchen i recognize, yippee!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha Laura B- I didn't know the name of that stuff! It's Romanian and I like it and that's about all I know about it! I reckon you did make with Karen.

    Krstina- yup, you'd recognize this kitchen! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to be rivaling Pioneer Woman Cooks before you know it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds good! But then again, anything w/ garlic is good in my opinion:) I was going to ask if it was similar to hummas, but based on the previous comments I'm guessing it is.

    ReplyDelete