Wednesday, March 14, 2012

stopping in at Ruby's

Way back when... when the world was young. Well, when I was young. Ok, youngER, we would occasionally stop by to see Ruby, an old lady who lived with her somewhat younger but still quite elderly brother, Claude. Their house was quaint and not much for creature comfort... I realize that now. But I loved it. It was just so... unusual in 1990's Indiana. Granted, it was back 'on the ridge' down in the southern part of the state where the roads weren't marked--you just had to know where and when to turn. 
we were driving by Ruby's old house so we parked the car and I roamed around for a few minutes.
Ruby taught me how to get water out of that well (under the tree). Just drop the bucket onto the top of the water *just so* so that it fills then haul it up when it's nearly full. 
The outbuildings out back aren't much 'count anymore. One of those was the outhouse but I didn't venture close enough to actually tell for sure. I think it was the middle one.
It looks like Claude just got up from his chair and left. And someone came along later and boarded up the door... but left his chair. I would have loved to see the inside but I'm pretty sure it really wasn't safe. But I wonder- when they left, did they take the pictures off the wall? Did they take the blankets? The tea towels?The dishes? I really would love to get inside... 

4 comments:

  1. What a touching post! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) You should see that part of the country- it's quite amazing!

      Delete
  2. It would be interesting to actually go inside, but also a little painful. Someone once built that home with lots of dreams. Were any fulfilled? At one time it may have been an attractive setting for it's day. Now it looks like the woods is gradually reclaiming the land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The woods are definitely reclaiming the land. I'm not sure who owned the property- Ruby or Claude. R never married and has no children. And- possibly the house was never that good that it was worth saving. But I sure loved to go there!

      Delete