Thursday, February 26, 2009

what's this?


It's a stove. (bottom pic is best) Wood-fired. Don't see these so often. Our friend took us to see his mom and sister. Sister was in the kitchen making lunch. She has these big iron pots, narrower at the bottom than the top. There are holes in the front part of the stove (sort of like a shelf- opens up into the oven beneath); holes have concentric iron rings in them, sort of like man-hole covers. Take out enough rings (depending on pot size, desired heat) and set your pot down in the hole. She had a long-handled pole with a curved collar-thing at the business end; the collar fit around the bottoms of the pots and that's how she moved them around. It was fascinating to watch, for sure. The pix don't do it justice- could have sat and watched the fire awhile! It amazes me that all the food for a large family is done like this; she bakes bread here, too. It's a heap of work. Must be fun in the summer...
ok- last one tonight. Good night and Sweet dreams!

3 comments:

  1. does the food cooked on it taste any different? seems like it'd be better somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita. It's been awhile since I checked out your blog and so I feel WAY behind - but I've gotten a wee bit caught up. I hope you're doing okay in the cold north. Keep on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy- we didn't eat that day. I can't really say- as always, it depends hugely on the cook. One thing- when it gets cooked slowly on low heat- it's usually fantastic.
    Wendy- doing fine, thanks! Tired of winter but who (except you!) isn't? ;)

    ReplyDelete