there might have been a mention earlier about a camera that needed fixing... went to pick it up the other day. first shot just to make sure it really does work. Is this a good time to mention that they did it as a warranty repair... I was trying to pay and the guy was looking at me like I was a collie that had mastered the art of speech... but not comprehension. I know I told them when I dropped it off that it was NOT under warranty... besides, I never produced a warranty, so what was the deal? I finally decided- If that's the way you want it... and left.
So, outside. Yes, I did mention that camera...well if the place where the repair people AREN'T is in a scruffy area... this one is an even scruffier area. The complex the service center is in is not too bad... but it should be no surprise that they're all behind big fences with security guards. You can't get into that place if they don't have the gate open for you.
Oh yes- and we have snow.
sighhhhhhhhh
And when we won't have snow anymore, we will have mud... But- we are used to these things...
Outside, the sharp smell of coal smoke hit my nose. See the smoke coming out of that nearly-visible chimney over there? The fantastic thing about those little structures- they are sort of like storage sheds- all the same, for the most part, but there are rows and rows of them in that lot (and in lots of other similar lots)- they are little garages. Not very many apartment buildings have parking garages; if there are 20-30 buildings in any given area (I'm guessing- but the residential areas of this city are solid apt buildings), anywhere from 5 to 15 floors per building and say 10% of the residents have a car (again, a guess- not a lot of people have cars)- well, you're out of parking spots in no time flat. So, this is the answer. Our landlord in L'viv had a 30 min walk from his garage to their apt. Anyway- the more industrious have little coal burners in there and a heated garage! (You can even keep your chickens there... and I've seen one converted into a cozy little living space- the solution for a young married couple just getting started in life.)
I guess this car got evicted from its garage. Near Julie's we saw one of these several months ago. 1st day- it had been in an accident. Then the vandals came by- glass is the first to go, tires punctured. Next, they feel compelled to pound it in various places. And then they set fire to it. All within about 2 weeks' time. Then it disappeared.
ok- so the front of the garage lot.
Oh- and we've had a bit of ice on the sidewalks around here. It all got scared and melted away today though... right before the sun got busy somewhere else and it snowed... again... tomorrow's sidewalks should be interesting.
there was a tree still clinging to its leaves... didn't have the heart to tell it they don't do much good in this weather...
So- yep, the camera works. And it's mine if I want it... now what should I say?? hmmmmm
;)
I know zip zero nothing about taking pix- aside from the fact that you have to push a button... so this should be fun
And I apologize... you're free to leave whenever you want. Don't tell me- you already have...
I don't think that you had tourism in mind when you took those pictures! Depressing.
ReplyDeleteInteresting area. Enjoy your camera, and we'll enjoy the walks with you. Ummm... be safe!
ReplyDeleteKeep the pictures coming! They are worth the 1000 words they promise. It all looks so gray. Isn't that great you are bringing others something so bright? And by the way, it is gray here too, so don't feel so special it is gray there!
ReplyDeletelol Susan... guess not. It just looks like that in the winter.
ReplyDeleteOh- I'll quit feeling special about it!
still enjoying the camera... will see where it takes me!