Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Happy Anniversary to me

Eight years ago yesterday, Oct 13, my enormously numerous and heavy 'suitcases' and I first set foot (and eyeballs) on Ukraine. The girls were asking me questions in class last night, including 'How long have you been here?' which sort of jolted me into awareness of the day. It has been a wonderful, seldom dull, amazing 8 years! In honor of the occasion, I'm going to toss up some of my favorite pix from the past 8 years... It will be a long post... get your popcorn and Dew... (pix in no special order)

this was my mental therapy a few years

Mom and Dad had the time of their lives...and the first thing we did was haul them across country on the train...

you want good apples? Come on over!

I loved following the change of seasons out this window (kitchen in Western Ukr)

Taras (a few years ago!) looking at Country magazine

people dear beyond words
ditto
I'll quit saying ditto... you already knew that
this was proly the most fun bday I've had over here

well, the hat... the hat... :)
I love it that you can take walks like this
NW Ukr in late June... poppies are weeds- but, Wow, they're beautiful
I looked out this window, saw window boxes with flowers and said, Wow, that's just like Austria... Karen said, You need to get back to Austria...
:)
can you see the license plate?
the land of fresh produce... oh me oh my...



one of the most beautiful 'Old Towns' in existance
these 3 are a for real loom and spinning operation. I love love love the colors


well, we had good times in this kitchen, eh? But we're glad and thankful the woodburning stove is gone...

17 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to you from all the Thompsons! I loved looking at all the pictures. It does make me nostalgic as you took over not too long after my sister was gone...and so life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great memory stir uppers! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary from us too! I know people put a lot of weight into wedding anniversaries and understandably so. But for you worker-folk, you need to 'celebrate' the milestones too even moreso! Keep on keeping on! (Esp. the blogging for us that need excitement!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey...that was just a preview certainly! can't believe it's been 8 years allready! Keep growing and going! One step..one day...one hour ...one moment at a time! You're a dear inspiration and don't forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, this is anonymous. And tonight when I should be sleeping I'm blog hopping and met up with you on mimisusans blog. I had a feeling we both had connections to IN, mine many long years before yours and I also thought I recollected a very dear friend from Shoals telling me you were going oveseas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary to you! I remember being at the airport in Indy when you left. I was a home waiting for Dena....... Jeanette and I came up then brought Shelly back with us to my folks.
    Anniversary this week and in two weeks you'll have another mile marker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice blog, nice pics. we're glad you came, keep on keeping on!
    is the missing wood stove from the Bilo kitchen or could it have been ripped out and updated with heat from the Letichiv place??? she said hopefully

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 8 years! Wow, time sure flies, eh? Thanks for sharing the pics...very nice!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow- 8 years already! Thanks for sharing. I think of you often and thanks for your comments:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow-eight years!

    We love your blog, and love seeing pictures of Ukraine, even some familiar faces. Thanks!
    Matt and Kerry Accola

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe I left my email address somewhere on your blog last night. I was just emptying trash and junk mail and just as I clicked "empty" I saw "short order" and it was unopened so wondered if it might have been an email from you. If so I'd be pleased if you would send it again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i loved the kitchen view as well! and..i recognize that 'old town' ;-)

    and the hat...well, the hat....no need to say more, right?!

    anyways great to see all those photos~ happy "anniversary"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree..I hop on once in awhile to see how things are there..and enjoy your life from your perspective..been borrowing any shoes lately?! Funny, the memories we attach to remember people! I'd forgotten about that..long ago now! You have me chuckling from time to time! Just want you to know who's checking from here. Good days...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary! We are very thankful for those who are still "sewing seed". Loved looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sure are glad you are here, Anita!!!! Sorry I missed your anniversary, but will try to make up for it when you come out at the end of the month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. humm looks like mine didn't save- Happy Anniversary- have lots of good memories from you last times here--Love, Helen

    ReplyDelete