| trying to get a shot of the drunk across the bus aisle from me. It was night and there were some lights on in the bus but obviously, not enough. Alcoholism in this part of the world is a terrible problem. My bus neighbors the other night seemed to typify the whole thing. A very nice looking lady holding a child (approx 3 years old, sleeping). They were there when we got on. Just before we left, a man sits down beside the lady. The next time I noticed them, the man had slumped over on top of the sleeping child on top of the lady. He was totally limp and fast asleep. There's a plastic bag with child's toys, scarf, clothing in it at the man's feet...which he proceeded to kick into the aisle while 'sleeping'. Mom, of course, can't do anything- she's got 2 sleeping people on top of her. I try to gather stuff up but the man's foot is on half of it. Finally manage to shove his amazingly heavy foot off of Baby's things and Mom (who must be a contortionist) and I manage to get the stuff back in the bag; she hauls it over to her side of the seat. We're approaching the end stop and I'm beginning to wonder just how she's going to manage everything. Baby is still fast asleep. So is the drunk. Mom begins trying to wake him up... and guess what, turns out he's a mean one. He hauled his fist back and was about to punch her... when he fell asleep again. Mom gave up for the moment. The seat in front of them was empty, so I scooted up there then turned around and asked her if she needed help. She didn't answer. We arrived. She waits for everyone to get off the bus and then tries to wake the Drunk again. No luck. I get into the aisle and begin shaking him by the shoulder- We're here, I say. Move. Now. The change in voice possibly gets through because he looks at me blearily. Then closes his eyes again. I use my most brisk and no-nonsense voice- Let's go, we're here. Move. And- surprisingly, he does. Wobbles to his feet and swerves for the front of the bus. Mom frantically begins wrapping up Baby. Toys fall out, I pick them up, hand her a scarf, mittens, take the bag. Take the other bag. Get off the bus. Drunk is there and takes the bags from me. I look at him. And then, pretending I'm his 2nd grade teacher I say, very sharply: Shame on you. How can you NOT be ashamed of yourself. Travelling with a small child in your condition. I felt like slapping him across the face but didn't... a very good thing. He opened his eyes a bit wider, Mom got off, I left. The last I saw them, they were clustered around a bench. I really wonder how they all got home that night. And how would it be living with him? A man who gets so drunk that he leaves his wife to cope with their small child and all their bags PLUS HIMSELF on public transportation, travelling from 1 city to another. A man who will try to punch his wife in the face on the bus... but doesn't manage it because he's too drunk. A man who would do that while his wife is holding their sleeping child. And sadly? It's not unusual. Not here. Not many weeks go by that you don't see a lady walking around with downcast eyes and bruises on her face. Most of them, likely, are because of an alcoholic (proly husband) in the household. I read recently that Ukraine has the highest rate of alcoholism in men in all of Europe. It's a huge and terrible problem. I could weep for that lady on the bus and the thousands like her all over this country. |
You have the most interesting stories. I love when you write long paragraphs, even if the subject is less-than happy.
ReplyDeletethis is definitely a less than happy topic. Had another drunk-on-the-bus experience today... sighhhhh
ReplyDelete