Thursday, March 10, 2011

trying to choose my words carefully

I haven’t been posting nearly as often as I used to… and it’s been even less often than you know because I’ve mostly been doing a bunch of posts when I have time and then scheduling them to post automatically over the course of a week or so. I’ve been trying to do a post since yesterday afternoon but can’t- something’s goofed up with blogger and I just can’t. So I’m trying the mobile approach- via email. Hope it works! ;)


Now for what’s on my mind.


I managed to keep my mouth shut (mostly) during the last presidential election as well as the recent elections. But there’s a new wave of political stuff just now… and it bothers me. A lot. It makes me weep inside. It makes me fearful for people whom I love.


God is not a politician and He doesn’t deal in politics. And if you think He does, come live somewhere outside of the US for awhile and watch. God works in spite of politics and politicians. What seems so clear to you and me in the setting we find ourselves in at this moment can look completely different if we move to where our neighbor is.


Politics used to fascinate me and I ate it all up, I voted, I debated, I loved it.


And then? Then I watched politics destroy friendships. I watched people who (should) have something much greater than political feelings and emotions between them get torn apart because of something so foolish and short-lived as which candidate won.


You know what? Politics is not religion. Religion is not politics. The 2 shouldn’t even meet. The power of God is greater than any power of man, unified or not, on this earth. God  keeps people in every corner of the earth in situations where the political situation is so corrupt and awful that fear rules. God keeps people in situations where there is no freedom at all. The venom that is spewing right now because of a political situation is enough to make me ill.


I quit voting, I quit discussing politics at all. We shed too many tears here in our tiny corner of the earth over a situation that was only made worse by political feelings. I hope I never go there again. Those were bitter tears. If you want to shed them- keep spewing politics at your friends who just may not agree with you but are trying to be gracious and not respond. What is between us because of God is much greater than any political party or sentiment. If/when brothers are torn apart because of politics… that is shameful.

15 comments:

  1. You're right. This political thing is pretty much new to me because I haven't cared much in the past. I have an opinion & I was one of those who expressed it. I'm done with it because I don't care that much. I guess I haven't seen relationships ruined because of it but I can see what you mean. I've decided we all have opinions and who cares what mine is? Really, who am I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to add - and of course we're so privileged & I'm sure we have no idea how much. Thanks for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know my feelings as well... I just think if people went to another country and experienced what conditions really were, they'd give thanks for the liberties we have here. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not agree more! I am amazed at some spirits that have come out of people, all because of politics. I guess it is not something I have ever feared or worried about, simply because I know who is in control...period. Thank you for this reminder Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. I realize that your feelings have probably surfaced due to the situation going on in the state you used to labor. That doesn't affect me so much, but I get upset over the venom or ugly remarks made about any political person, even when I don't support the political candidate. Are we supposed to pray for the people in leadership postions only if we like them? Otherwise we're free to publicly trash them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. well said , Anita! Love is the Kingdom's banner. period. Not always easy to do but necessary. Thanks for your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said Anita! Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should add- I think it would be unnatural not to have an opinion or feeling about political issues. I think people should vote if they want to. If my occupation were something else, I would.

    What I don't like is the sentiment (which I've heard expressed by people from both sides of the political divide in the US) that our political affiliation somehow indicates our Christianity. They are 2 completely unrelated things and should be kept separate.
    Ok- deep breath and step down off the soap box! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never too late in life to learn another lesson...sorry often so costly. Thank you Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said very good for me to think about--it can get discouraging when your FB feed is full of rants from friends on opposite sides... telling someone why they are absolutely wrong and you are absolutely right doesn't accomplish anything but bad feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this, Anita! I needed this more than you may realize. It's good to not feel alone in some of our struggles. Thanks... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. have to add my nicely said....have been a little bothered by some of the venom that has been spewed lately

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing. I like what we heard once: "Politics aren't good ticks for God's sheep." Of course that isn't an excuse for me to bury my head in the sand either :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just hoping that I'm learning the lessons... learning them, not just 'sitting through' them...

    ReplyDelete