- 2 oranges
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
preheat oven to 375 F. Grate the zest from the oranges. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Crack in the eggs and mix until well combined. Sift the flour. Add it to the bowl. Gently stir the mixture using as few strokes as possible so that the muffins aren't tough. In a smalll measuring cup or bowl, combine the buttermilk and baking soda. Add the buttermilk mixture to the muffin batter and mix until just combined. Add the orange zest. Mix just until combined, being careful not to overmix. Grease 24 mini muffin tins (I used 18 regular sized muffin papers- my muffins didn't overflow and have the nice baker's hat appearance that PW's do in the book... but that's ok with me.) and fill each 2/3 full with muffin batter. Bake for 12-17 min until light brown. Watch to make sure they don't get too brown.
While the muffins are baking, prepare the glaze. Juice the 2 oranges. Mix the juice with the 1 cup of brown sugar (from above) in a med bowl and stir together just until combined; don't worry about dissolving the sugar completely- you want the glaze to be grainy and textured. As soon as the muffins are done, drizzle the glaze all over the top. Be sure to throroughly coat each muffin. Don't worry if the glaze drips all over the pan- just lick it up later! ;)
And Thanks, Dear Sister, for the cookbook. I've always loved cookbooks and this one is a keeper! xo


I have this book, too! I love it. She has sooo many good recipes.
ReplyDeleteOk fine give me a guilt trip about not writing actual letters...I need it...
ReplyDeleteI also might need that cookbook...
Yum, I'll have to try those! I recently bought the book too but haven't tried much yet. Beautiful to look at even.
ReplyDeleteI am so making these - whats another word for buttermilk? Don't know if we have it in polska??
ReplyDeleteI am so making these - whats another word for buttermilk? Don't know if we have it in polska??
ReplyDeleteIt is a beautiful book!
ReplyDeleteAnd the recipes look good, too. :)
@Helen- I'm not making anyone feel guilty for not writing... you should see how many (few) letters I've written lately!
@Jessie- just now realizing that you have a blog, too!
Buttermilk substitutes:
- sour milk
- kefir
- cup of whole milk to tablespoon of lemon juice
I got that book last mother's day and sat down and read for it the rest of the afternoon! And cooked out of ever since. The Lasagna is wonderful!!
ReplyDeleteThese sound delish! I don't have the cookbook, but follow PW blog! Some very good recipes there! Have enjoyed reading your blog again this a.m. -- wishing I had one of those muffins to go along with my cup of coffee.
ReplyDeleteIt's a beautiful book.
ReplyDeleteHello Linda! Nice to 'see' you again! ;)