Monday, December 6, 2010

same field, different week

Remember this? And this?

 Heading back there 1 week and 2 days after those other posts... looks a sight different.
 my first time in alone and I was a tad worried about finding the way over those fields
 I look worried, right? Or is that a cold look? It was cold. -12 C... 10 F. Cold considering that the week before it was barely coat weather and there was a bug crossing the road and the field was covered in tiny flowers... it's early for that kind of cold here.
 off we go...
 so far, so good. There's still a track.
 It wasn't so bad, really. Turns out, I've done it enough in good weather that I did know when to turn and when to go straight...
We're headed for those houses off in the distance!
 Kitty was waiting... snuggled up in the baking part of the big wood stove! No wonder her white hair is something less than snowy white...
headed back out
ps- no horse this time...
 nearing the road
 as T says- this is where you get worried. You could miss the bus and see it but not be able to get there fast enough...
 up and out!
The road looks not too bad here but it was anything but good further up. Very treacherous and follows a river, so quite curvy. That was nothing, though, to the roads that night when I headed back to where the other girls were. 3 1/2 hours in good weather... longer this time. It was snowing when I left. But the temps were rising and that changed to sleet about an hour and a half later. And the road just got worse. I was so thankful for a skilled and careful and level-headed driver who kept it in his own lane. He drove slowly a lot of the time and we made it safe and sound. When I got off and he was getting my bag out of the back, I had the strongest urge to grip his shoulder and sincerely and heartily thank him... but I refrained. I don't think Ukr'n women do stuff like that... and he was about 10 years younger than me so would have proly had a spell. I did sincerely thank him and told him 'Ви молодці' (You did great- loosely translated.) I think he got it.

7 comments:

  1. oh my goodness girl, you worry ME! But you ARE an adventurer! Glad you had a good driver too! love, jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i could see some anxiety in your expression...it was there..wow! and i was grumbling about the 19 degrees here this morning. glad you made it and that you're safe and sound..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been cold here in NW Wi also, single digits over night, teens, twentys during the day. We've had snow for at least 3 wks. NOT normal conditions. Wonder what happened to our global warming? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have told you to take the cross country skiis on the balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey hey- I wasn't really worried- you can't get too lost back in those fields... and the roads? Well- not much you can do about them except keep your trap shut and not distract the driver!
    Gary- Seems WI's weather has been funny- warm some places, very cold other places... funny early winter here, for sure.
    alleykat- ha! And break my leg? Yeah- me and skis. I was built to walk, thanks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i thought from the pic that you were joining the sisterhood... I was a bit worried for a short bit... ha... have fun.... and work hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh well- anyone who knows me will know better! ;)

    ReplyDelete