Sunday, December 19, 2010

it starts with the shoes

Something happened on the bus recently- new for me. A dad and his little (6? year old) son got on. Immediately, they both caught my eye. The color of their coats was just... different. Why? A light sky blue. Not really typical coat colors for here. As they made their way back to where I was sitting, I sort of idly noticed them. Dad parked Son in an empty seat just diagonally in front of me and moved on behind me. Sonny Boy sat there like a soldier. I looked here and there and back to him. And gradually became aware of a whole set of slightly unusual things about the kid. He was wearing a snowsuit- the kind that is like a pair of coveralls- one piece, top to bottom. OK- that's the norm for little kids but not much older than 2 or 3. His snow-pants finished in stirrups that went under his boots. I've never seen that on a kid that big here, either. His gloves were warmer looking and better than the norm. He was just different, from top to bottom. 
Then he fell asleep. Fast asleep. Kept falling onto the seat in front of him. Then the other way. Flop. Flop. FlopFlopFlop. So much that a lady who'd just gotten on and was standing by him turned an accusing eye on me and wanted to know What Was Up? Where's the adult for this child? I'm not sure, I said- the bus had really filled up and I had bags on my lap so was awkward to turn around. I did, though, and said- I think that's his dad back there at the back. She looked and then grinned- Oh, he's asleep, too. And flopping around. Wherever they'd been, they were worn out. So, the Nice Lady stood by Sleepy Boy and held onto the side of his shoulder and was Motherly. Dad suddenly came to and moved in a very direct line up to Sonny Boy. And took over from Motherly Lady. So then I looked at Dad. He was different, too. Wearing a really nice warm-looking ski jacket. Sky blue, like I said. Odd color, that... for here... on a man. Huh- look at the logo on the coat!
Now my interest is totally caught! Once before here I've seen this stuff and blogged it... Where did he get that? His shoes were good- solid and warm- more like hiking boots and not typical men's snow-type boots for here- you could go snow mobiling in them, for instance. Don't even ask me what typical is- I couldn't really say- just everything about this guy was shouting I'm Not From Here. And his son, too. Just before they got off the bus, I noticed the elastic strings at the sides of his coat- you know, the ones that you and move the plastic thing around on to make it tighter or looser- they were all stretched out. Ahhh- so it's not new stuff. Come to think of it, Sonny Boy's stirrup-things on his snow suit were worn looking, too. Then he had a brief conversation with another passenger in perfect Ukr'n... maybe a slight accent. Probably an ex-pat home for a visit. My Conclusion. 
Which brought something else to mind. (You wanted a book tonight, right?) 
Several years ago, a visitor told about visiting the USSR back in the day. You know, back then. He was in and out a lot. He told about riding the metro. Now- it's important to remember that, unless you had access to Black Market stuff, you wore the same stuff as everyone else. Period. So- Mr Foreigner gets on the metro. Sits down. Everyone's staring at the floor, for the most part. Across from him, he can see Grandma staring at the floor like everyone else. Her eyes idly move around but always directed down. Then suddenly they stop. Focus. On his shoes. They are Different Shoes. You can't get shoes like that here She thinks. Her eyes move to the cuffs of his pants- Not Normal. At All. And on to his pants- Wow- never saw fabric quite like that. And on up. Jacket- odddddd. Bag- Man, that is different. And finally to the face. What We Have Here is a Foreigner. 
Every time. Over and over again. On the metro, on the street, in the stores. Everywhere. You just looked and smelled and acted different
We're often taken immediately for foreigners as well. I think, no matter how long you live here, you never quite fit in. Your tastes are just a bit different. You have some sort of access to different sources for many things. (Although that has greatly changed, especially with the massive popularity recently of Second Hand Shops carrying only American and Western European goods- cheaper than the stuff in the shops and bazaars here and of much MUCH better quality. Astronomically higher in quality.) 
It's funny how the subconscious works and grabs your attention. I was amused at myself for noticing the Dad and his Son. 

2 comments: