Karen F and I spent last night with her 2nd cousins- had a nice time. After breakfast this am, they arranged for an acquaintance to take us to the nearest border crossing. An hour or so later, there we were. He parked the car and we walked up to the guards, showed our papers, got our stamps and approximately 10 min later, were back in the car, heading for the train station. No one had any questions, no one barely even cared that we were there... In fact, the female guard smiled and chatted and the male guard almost cracked a smile, too... Well well well...
When we got back in the car, it struck me just how attached I am to this place. The thought of possibly being denied the 'privilege' of standing for hours on cold corners waiting for buses, sitting in drafty train stations waiting for trains, slopping through the muck and mud, constantly having to guard your place in any line and, of course, living without Mountain Dew, for the most part- well, it was an unpleasant prospect. K's cousin's wife asked how I liked Ukr- and I said, "Really, it feels like my own." And I guess that's true! I'm glad we're back!
So, K & I are on the train- she's headed to the capital city; I'll get out about 1/2 hour from our bache and head 'home'.
What I want to try now is to post this from my iPAQ via my mobile phone. Let's see how good Google really is!
Take care you all! xo
I can hardly imagine what it's like there. It's wonderful that you feel as you do!! Glad things went well at the border. MD huh? I have some in the fridge-I'll save it for ya! :) Stacy
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing the feeling leaving and wanting to come back so quick. Even 10 minutes at the border and a person is already anxious that they'll punch in their stamp in your passport! Good deal that you didn't stay away too long.
ReplyDelete