Thursday, May 1, 2008

Sweet Baby!

Had a surprise phone call Tues evening- from Mr Cutie Pie (that sounds funny, doesn't it? Well, he's half of the Cutie Pie couple, that's all I've got to say). Anyway, they were in town for his work and Mrs Cutie Pie would be happy to see me (the feeling, believe me, was mutual)! So, Weds, after telling Anya good-bye, off I go.
Me to Bus Driver: do you know where 'Dom Pavlovykh' is? I need to get out there. He looks at me. Yes, he says (he's one of these types that could look totally mean and scary and has the voice to match- but is a softy inside, I think). Sit here- indicates the seat beside him (that way he won't forget, along with all his other bus-driverly duties, to point out my stop to me- this is what I love love LOVE about Ukr'n bus drivers- generally, they're your friend, they're looking out for you- and you need that- because it's a dog-eat-dog world, folks). 15 min later- here you go. (I wish I could growl on here- that's what he did.) Walk, walk, walk. The hotel/resort they're staying at is on the shore of the Black Sea, tucked behind some major industry stuff of some sort. It's not at all to my taste- totally tacky, in fact- gaudy colors, flower beds in bloom... with plastic flowers- it's... it's... well, it's just not me, that's all. But, I wind around through the flaunt and glitter and tack and finally find their room.

Baby Cutie pie is asleep...so we start with a hug and continue in whispers. Anyway, he does eventually wake up... I last saw him in Jan; he was 5 mos old then; this is him now... Oh, he makes my hard heart melt! He eats solids now; he chatters; he smiles; no teeth yet, though he drools non-stop; and he's FAT (likely the first one in the family, on either side...haha)!
In fact, his mom is so tiny and skinny that I'm totally amazed she can pick him up! He looks bigger than her- sort of. This little guy's parents are so sort of interwoven with my own history here in the country, that it feels like he's mine- or my grandson, anyway. His folks weren't married yet when first I met them. His dad often was my translator when T & I went north to the boys' area (gave T a break). When learning a language (that makes it sound like I know a heap- I don't, but this goes way back to elementery school when I was, for the first time in my life, doing the bulk of my communicating in English and trying to NOT sound Amish), I pick out one or two people and mimic the sounds they make, the way their voice rises and falls. So, this little guy's dad- he has a pretty good strong Western Ukr accent- and he was my 'copy'. Not that that matters... it's just part of the story. The rest of it has to do with the place where the Western Ukr bache is and that city...but that's a whole 'nother story for a whole 'nother day.

No comments:

Post a Comment