Tonight, I said to Trude: Do you know what might happen this year- soon- for the first time in 30 years? (She was busy with her own stuff at the time, I should mention.) Umm Nooo she says in what I can only describe as an "I-honestly-couldn't-care-less-right-now-either" voice. Well this year a horse might actually win the Triple Crown I say happily. Oh she says What usually wins it? This is where I realize that we're in uncharted waters here. But- Hey! I like to tell you stuff. I like to explain about the Kentucky Derby, The Belmont Stakes and The Preakness; I'd enjoy talking about 3 year old colts, about Big Brown, about Kentucky horse farms and horse baby sitters and on and on. It's a big business. It's breathtaking. I could happily chat for hours. I launch my talk-boat and look at T. And the look on her face is exactly the same one I used to give Dad when he'd get going on his latest favorite topic. An And-this-is- important-to-me-WHY? look. And I stopped. Reigned in my horses. Sighed. And thought Well it'll be just fairly cool if Big Brown pulls it off. I must be in trivia-chatter-spew mode today because we already had the Did-you-know-Kobe-Bryant-speaks-Italian? conversation today...which was big news to her.
Well, we're also talking about other stuff- important stuff. We're spending the night tonight with some acquaintances of acquaintances. First time to meet them. Interesting people.
Go Big Brown! (My dad knows who he is and who Eight Belles is; Dad knows Indy 500 trivia, too. I'm his daughter.)
there are definetly some people that understand what you are talking about and who would love to talk with you about Big Brown! That's funny that you can see both sides so well! Love, mom
ReplyDeleteAs a Ky. girl I could enjoy your horsey conversation! I sure hope Big Brown wins. His finishes are amazing. I hope that you can see the race video on your computer. No betting though! : )
ReplyDeleteHave you ladies had time to work on the menus for next month?
ReplyDeleteGo Big Brown... It's so exciting!
ReplyDeleteJust ask me about NASCAR... that's where it's at!
Okay, you've (almost) forced it out of me. I so badly wanted to tell you on your 'Mario' post but thought maybe I shouldn't after the Roger W. comment. Ask me, hurry ask me, which person you know really really well who has gone to the 500 the last two years - you might be a little jealous (or not - hee hee). Oh, and mtg wasn't skipped either year!
ReplyDeleteLove, Miss n Men
ok... i know you have menus to plan and all but could you would you in a brief little email explain all you know about the horse world to me? i adore horses and would never tire hearing all you know. look at it as an outlet..i care!!! ( but am highly ignorant of pretty much everything you're describing!!! but i want to know more!!) and then, after doing all that you can get back to the important stuff, right?
ReplyDeleteThat is just to funny as i can just picture the whole conv! I dont know about Big Brown, but was sad what happened to last yrs horse Barbaro! Go Brown go!
ReplyDeletei just laughed out loud and eveyone is sleeping... awesome.
ReplyDeletehey ethel, I hope you just want Anita's short version of Horse Racing and Indy stuff. We're startin' to wonder if the shoppin' list will be ready in time.
ReplyDeleteif she's anything like me she'll get it done....( just in the knick of time)...she's probably stressed about it and so everything else besides the menu comes to mind!! that is, again, if she's anything like me! anita, the short version will work..as, i am CLUELESS..in fact i might have to start researching it out myself.
ReplyDeleteYour race horse turned out to be a Big Frown!
ReplyDelete