Saturday, May 31, 2008

Cute kid

He was being a brat in the store but too cute not to smile at. At the cash register, he and his mom were right in front of me- he was fussing and his mom said, We'll give the nice auntie (me) our chocolate cookies. She wants them- which earned me a scowl from him. It was kind of fun to chat with him a bit then and tell him they were his but he should be good. He was all eyes and ears. Parenting is a 'It takes a village' think here, often. They'd locked their other stuff and his dump truck up in a locker which they got out as they left the store- he was ecstatic- and promptly ran off pushing it ahead of himself down the sidewalk.

On the way home I saw something I'd have liked to take a pic of but just couldn't. A woman with gray hair, bobbed and permed at the ends, no real eyebrows but painted-on ones, for sure- they started just above her nose, arched up and then swept out clear to the sides of her head...amazing. She was wearing a bridesmaid-type white dress with heels. As I drew even with her, I saw she had no teeth. She was mumbling to herself but looked exceedingly happy. She drifted off through the knee-high grass and weeds in a sort of dancey way. Now, I won't speculate just what was with her, but she was interesting. There was a group of kids that just stopped everything to watch her...I wanted to, but continued on to the apt.

No comments:

Post a Comment