Sunday, May 4, 2008

It all started Fri night

came back from seeing V&I and the girls and Sasha. Did a bunch of shopping since, well, you know, the next day, Trude was arriving and I was going to need to have my socks pulled up and act like we do know how to cook and feed people in this joint. We take showers. We do laundry. We are PEOPLE. Yes.
I shopped. And got stuff that we needed. Unloaded it all in the kitchen, put it away. Made some pasta. Retired briefly to my room to eat it. Started feeling... odd... just odd... and freezing cold... back to the kitchen. The whole day's worth of dishes- but that's not so much when you're just one lone ranger. Look at that all blearily and think: It'll keep till tomorrow and crawl into bed. And shiver. And shiver. I mean, I was really REALLY cold. Plus mysteriously started to cough. And cough. (Note: leaving a messy kitchen isn't really me- I hate going out there in the am to a mess- I shoulda known something was wrong when the dishes looked like they wanted to wait till morning.)
Sure enough- wake up feeling rotten. Gauging how much time I need to do the stuff that must be done before T gets in and still leave in plenty of time to meet her train, start off with the dishes. T calls. Tells me when she gets in (12.30). And I'm like- I'm sickkkkkkkkkkkk.... [whine, whimper] Bless her heart- She says Just tell me the bus I need to get on and where to get out and I'll manage. I'll stop and get chicken on my way and we can just eat when I get in. (Those were all T's lines.) Well, I feel a small burst of energy just knowing I don't have to go to the train station- it's a LONNNGGGGG way from the bache. I got chicken last night and I have a fast easy meal (chicken wraps) planned, I say. Fine.
I start by washing my hands and then getting stuff slowly going: chicken cut up and marinaded (Worcestershire sauce with oyster sauce and garlic); lettuce washed and dried; tomatoes washed. Plus, also start the split-pea soup for supper (ok- I'll admit it: I'm a mean split-pea soup maker...if you like that kind of thing; I love it and I really like making it; it's fun).
So now, there's more dishes. Lots more. Fine. First mistake- draw wash water first. Then think, Oh, now I need to put that somewhere (it's in a bowl) for to get the rinse water- put the wash water on the counter and fill the 2nd bowl with hot water... now I need to switch them around... Oh no. I'm confused. So, ummm (I guess the fever that I know by now I've got has clouded my brain)- I picked up a totally full bowl of hot water and prop it up somewhere on the sink and turn to get the sudsy water... and that's when that bowl of hot water just sort of went- WHOOOSH- Wow- it was something to see... I mean there's water all down the front of me plus it's totally filling up every inch of the kitchen (small kitchen, of course- tiny. microscopic. This is part of the problem). Suddenly I think, Oh no! The neighbors are going to get a flood and it'll be my fault and they'll be mad and yell at me and... yikes. The phone rings. It's T- I'm here. (I'd told her I'd meet her at the stop because you have to go down the stairs and cross under the street and come back up on the right side of the street and this can all be very complicated when you can't see the landmarks up top- you have to know which hole to dart up the stairs to escape to freedom again.) Umm, I say- I've just had a disaster here and I'm really not able to go out just now (and I'm thinking My slippers and socks are wet and how am I going to put my shoes on like this? I know that doesn't make any sense but that's the way it was.) So, T's been here once or twice and says Well, I aim for that Reebok store, right? Yup, I say; come around the front of that and ..... Ok, she says. Which entrance? The 4th I say.
Well, I sort of move toward the bathroom where there's a yellow rag and it's the only thing on my mind. And the next thing I know- WHAM! I mean, I really don't know what happened but suddenly I was on the floor, half wrapped around the bathroom door frame- 1 slipper was under the table, the other was under me (???what???) and let me tell you- it hurt. It really really REALLY hurt. Like completely. Like painfully. ouch. Mommmmmmmmmmm... this is what I thought as I nearly (not kidding) started to cry. I gingerly got up and realized that I hurt even more than I'd thought-but there's no blood anywhere. I got the yellow rag. It was like using a napkin to soak up Lake Michigan. Didn't work. (You're not going to believe this next part- I've got a fever, remember): I look at myself and remember that the jean skirt I'm wearing needs to be washed- so I just took it off and sopped up a tiny bit more water. And then I found several other towels. Finally got the lake dried up. And got re-dressed. And then T knocks on the door. And I let her in. And I tell her the whole pathetic story. And she falls over laughing... yup. She did. But you know what? I do too. It's just what I needed. Otherwise I was going to totally flood the kitchen a 2nd time with the leaky faucet that was my eyes. And laughing's better than crying... (at least in this instance).
Let me just tell you that I don't bruise easily... and I have bruises in remarkable places... remarkably painful bruises in remarkably painful places... including my arm and leg- several on both. And it hurts worse today than then... and it hurts to move.
It does.
But I don't have a fever anymore and I feel a lot better. Laid low all day yest and today- and whatever it was, it fled and left me with a newly cleared head... and a few bruises...

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry! And, although I'm sorry, you sure made it a good story. I had to laugh! Having had the nasty bug myself some time back, I can relate to what you were feeling like!
    Thanks for the heads up on G & D's anniversary, I'll send them a note since we're in the same town, and I know them now :*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. all i can say is... WOW! what a story. i'm impressed that even with a fever you can recall the details!!!

    and yes... today is "the" day for me. but i'm old so who cares?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i care, Linda. Happy Belated.
    sorry about your catastrophes galore, Anita. I think you needed to cry. Sometimes you just have to make a really good excuse to do so,hmmmm? it's ok. we all care and at the same time laugh with you too. life is like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's a hideous story! Glad you're feeling better, though!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had to laugh over this latest episode in your soap opera but am sorry that you got sick! Reading your bolg is somewhat like reading the comics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well after 3 nights on the train do you think I was about to stand there across the street and WAIT?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bwwhahahaha!!! I'm sorry...you were sick....but what a hilarious story!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally hopped over here with time to absorb this... funny! Thanks for digging into your archives for a good laugh.

    (What?!?... you guys really take showers and do laundry?)

    ReplyDelete