I have 2 brothers. Both younger than me but for the purpose of this story, we'll call them Big Brother and Little Brother. So. Little Brother. It always amazed me that this kid not only moved out of the home we grew up in but actually survived. Because... he was one of 2 Little Kids in the family. There were us 2 big kids and those 2 little kids. And Everybody Knows that Little Kids need people around to take care of them. That's Just How It Is. I have no idea how it happened nor do I know how he survived but he did. So one day, I was at his apartment. Ok. So 'survive' is a good word for what he did there. Being the Big Sister, I dug up a tub of elbow grease and had a blast. Somehow, it was a whole lot more fun cleaning his apt than it ever had been cleaning up after him at home. Not that it was just him to clean up after. You know what I mean. So, nice tub of elbow grease. And the washers and driers are in the basement. And his laundry basket's overflowing. And there's a stack of quarters and soap. And he sure doesn't mind if someone puts all those ingredients together to see what will happen. So. Off I go. Sort and stain treat and start a load or 2 or so. And more and more and more. And no more quarters. I ask for more. He's horrified. I gave you a whole bunch, he says. I know, I say, but they're gone and I'm not even half done. Well, he says (in a very unimpressed voice) That should have been more than enough to wash AND dry it all. I don't have anymore. Heh. I had to go get more. I got some real insight that day into an alternative method of doing laundry. And into the cause for the uniform color of everything. ;) And- we're still friends... I think... |
I love Zits. In fact, with two teenage boys, I live Zits. There was one recently where he has the dishwasher in a similarly loaded fashion and is holding it shut with his feet and asks his mom to push the on button. Luke is paying for his new bike by doing dishes in the evening so it was a perfect fit for us that day.
ReplyDeleteYour brother did laundry like my daughter does. I drives me crazy!!!
ReplyDeleteZits is great, for sure!
ReplyDelete@Sandy- what always amazed me is my bro always looked nice and spiffy. Always. How did he do that? Must not have had any white shirts... maybe M did his ironing??
Yes, I lived Zits too with two boys. And after they left home and would come home and do their laundry occasionally, it DROVE ME CRAZY!! That is NOT the way I tought you!! You do NOT wash your Sunday button down shirts with your work blue jeans! *Sigh*!
ReplyDeleteLoved your story--that's funny!
I think my mom could definitely understand.
ReplyDelete