Sunday, September 27, 2009

hitatus

I've done a lot less posting lately than sometimes. Of course, with Mom and Paul here- who wants to spend time online (more than necessary) when you've got people like that hanging around? Not me, For sure.

But that's not the only reason. The other is...

different, to be sure.
If you know me well- and if you spent time with me at all the past couple years- you would know that I spent a lot (a whole lot) of time chewing on ice. Lots and lots of ice. I craved it- it felt good in my mouth, on my tongue and in my tummy. I didn't pay much attention at first (although I'd never liked ice before- I hate watered down drinks). A few people noticed and mentioned it- and I always said: It's good for my nerves. And I guess I thought that.

Well......
google this: ice craving
interesting. Craving ice is a fairly common symptom of iron deficiency anemia. So is an enlarged spleen. So is abnormally pale (not pale but sickly white) skin- although I didn't notice my white skin until it was pink again... if that makes sense.
To make this shorter- because of prolonged dizziness and periodic bouts of extreme weakness and overwhelming hunger- I went to the doctor in Aug. And found out a bunch of stuff I never would have dreamed.
The anemia and spleen stuff are history (as of last week).
The hyper-thyroidism is next up for tackling.
The (most likely) benign fibroid tumors are in line, too. (And believe me- talking about tumors and meaning your own body- well, that is... bizarre, odd, unsettling- like Get These Space Aliens Outta My Body... NOW... even if they're only harmless little old benign dudes... Forget it- I don't want no truck with ya- now git gone. Thanks.)
This would, I believe, explain my longer than normal silences. And lack of much personal stuff.
For one thing- when I had a minute and felt like it, I took a nap. I've never done that in my life. Never had the time or the inclination. Know what? It felt really good.

And the ice? I haven't had any for at least 3 weeks (except in a McDonald's soda)... and I don't miss it and I don't care if I never have it again. I would never have believed craving something so plain and boring and 'nothing' as ice could actually be tied to some medical problem.

And 1 more thing? If your hair falls out more than normal, if your nails change- crack, peel and get bumpy little ridges, if you're way more nervous than normal, if you're more sensitive to heat than normal, if you're eating more or less normally and losing weight: Ahem- go have your thyroid checked. I should have known long ago that something was up... but I guess we can be amazingly stupid about what's going on with our own selves.
I don't like 'all about me' posts much, either (nods to fellow blogger)- but this was one.

14 comments:

  1. Yikes! I was noticing your absence.... it wasn't as funny out in the blog sphere as it has been! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This roller coaster ride is NOT fun. Sure hope that you get on an even keel soon. And I certainly do understand how perplexing it all becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. I'm so sorry for your health stuff. Glad you found out cause not finding out would be worse..

    Keep encouraged! There IS light at the end...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well- other people have it a lot worse, of that I'm certain! But even my little roller coaster is getting sort of rickety and tiresome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would have thunk....glad you're feeling better. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Надіюся, що все буде нормално скоро. Нам потрібно, що всі сестрі мають добрі здорові. Діма Х.

    ReplyDelete
  7. joining the club che! the thyroid thing is no joke and join it with hyper adrenals and you really have a twit on your hands! been there done that and still working on it! glad you are on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope you continue to improve. Farmer Marv has a little of that issue in reverse of yours so kind of aware of that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anita - it's been a long time since I had time to look at blogs - and I don't have time this morning but I took a minute or two - I'm still out of date as I didn't go back very far in yours but I read this. I hope things keep improving. Please know that we're thinking of you -

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear from you. We like details. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, that is certainly good news and who else would tell us? :-) Glad to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good you are figuring things out. Glad you took time for yourself!

    ReplyDelete