Saturday, January 31, 2009

at times you feel far away

I've been lucky- very lucky. Both my mom's and dad's families are large; there were always plenty of cousins to play with at family gatherings and lots of aunts and uncles...and up until 2 1/2 years ago, I still had both sets of grandparents- and Grandma B and Grandpa J always wrote. Longevity seems to run in the family- on both sides. Grandma J had been in failing health for a long time and I was very glad to see her when I was home, although she didn't know me. She didn't know a lot of things- but one thing she knew- 'Home' was where Grandpa was; if he was there, they were home; if he wasn't, they needed to go home. Grandma J was in her early 90's when she died. Grandpa J is the oldest of them all but will likely outlive them all. He's spry, sharp... and I chatted with him via webcam not so long ago!
Grandma B had a bad spell and was in the hosp for (it seemed like a long time- was it a week?- All I know is the nurses thought she was adorable- she wears a night cap to bed; they'd never seen anything like her)...that was while I was home, so 2 years ago. Grandpa B, however, has long been frailer than Grandma. In the last year, there have been several incidences of falling; he's had seizures and needed med for that. Earlier this week, he landed in the hosp. At first they thought it was a stroke; then said possibly a seizure. For awhile he perked up... Thurs night, he had a massive heart attack... now we're just waiting.
My relationship with my grandparents was never what it is for some people but they cared for me, for us and I'm glad to have had them this long. Leaving the States 2 years ago was a bit tougher knowing that the likelyhood of seeing them again was slim. It feels funny thinking about them being gone- like a piece of me is missing- a funky puzzle with a couple of pieces missing. And although I've been with lots of people at this stage of life, in our family, it's hardly ever happened- as I said, longevity seems to run in the family.

10 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for yours on mine. I'm sorry about your Grandpa. Being far away from family is hard. And it is strange to come home after years and fine everything different but you weren't there when the things happened. In our minds, life freezes at when we were last there, so new events - good and bad - don't fit. Anyway, thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you too! I can totally relate to your post! It was hard last year to make the decision not to go home for my g'ma's funeral and to think of everyone else being together there except for me! But memories are good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that when you can't be present for the dying, burial event, and closure surronding a departed person it seems unreal that they're even gone. Thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you, too, so far away. And I know, being one of the grandkids that could make the long trip home, you're being thought of by the others...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count us in too. I'm sure times like this make you feel just like you're on the other side of the world. And you are. And we love you for that. Am glad in this computer age we live in that you can stay more connected than in years past. I'm sure that'll help. Keep your chin up and just give a hug to one near you there (but please not a drunk guy on the street). Sorry... had to say that. :-) Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish we could sit and roast marshmallows together or something like that for a little comfort food! My granddad was a very positive part of our life....and it was so hard to be in Alaska when he died......to this day I am so thankful for his influence on me....You will know the right kind of comfort now and in the future. Reta

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot say it any better then the rest of these ladies already have, but just know we are thinking of you during this time. Not easy. xxx's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks you all. It's an experience common to all of us but it's nice to hear. I know that I'd likely be no 'closer', if I was in the States just now. I'm very glad for this electronic age- glad for the things that make it easy to be in contact. And I'm glad right now for this blog... it's therapeutic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ps- Laura- you made me lol! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sure enough- that should have read:
    Linda, you made me lol... I have no idea why I have Laura so stuck in my head for you... maybe because of your mil??? I doubt it- think it's just a glitch in my head...

    ReplyDelete