Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Hot chocolate with a twist

Several years ago, I had some hot chocolate in the Arcadia Mall at the Wedel Chocolate shop. It was- amazing. Thick and creamy, more like the drinking chocolate we had in Spain with our churros. With a twist. Served with hot pepper syrup. 
Some time last year, I had this brain storm. What if I melted this chocolate bar and mixed it with milk. 
So I did and it was good- really good. One bar makes enough for at least 2 people. To get it right, the chocolate:milk ratio is about 1:2, approximately. To taste, I reckon, is a better way to say it. It's rich, for sure. 
So then I messed around with adding ground, hot pepper. Which was good enough but not quite 'the thing', you know? 
So last week, I did some googling. Several people are coming this way in the next year or so. And I was thinking: Why not find some online and have someone bring it over?
Turns out the syrup doesn't actually stay nice very long. Everything I saw said Make it fresh and use within 2 - 4 weeks.
And all those syrups are for making mixed drinks. Here's a very simple recipe I found. 

Peppers, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water

melting the chocolate, mixed with milk

Finished syrup

And in my cup! Oh my. Very yummy.
I'm now on the lookout for hotter peppers. Ukrainians aren't big on hot peppers; the ones I found aren't actually hot but warm...and that heat was diluted quite a bit in the syrup making process. 

2 comments:

  1. It all sounds good except the hot peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever get to your house, shall I make you some??? You might just LOVE it!!! :)

      Delete