Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Did you know....

….that a ‘babushka’ is not actually a scarf? It means ‘grandmother’ in Russian, Ukrainian (and possibly other Slavic languages). Interesting that the term made it into this comic strip. I never heard it used in the Midwest but I understand it’s common in Western Canada where there are many Ukrainians.

5 comments:

  1. and 'diedushka' means grandfather, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in Russian, that means 'grandfather'; Ukrn is pronounced like 'deduce'.

      Delete
  2. I knew that, we had a book with a big turnip in it and when the dedushka trieds to put it out, he can't and calls the babushka, and down to the mouse and they pull it out and it is so fun to say. Here's the Americanized shortcut.
    http://russian-crafts.com/tales/turnip.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had never seen that one! Thanks for the url!

      Delete
  3. thanks for the 'correction'...when I was in 6th. grade (yes a long time ago) it was the 'in thing' to have a babushka...like the one Cathy has!

    ReplyDelete