Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Picture I Didn't Take

It's a dark and starry night. We were on a bus and had been for a long time. I put Galadriel safely in her linen case and tucked her into my bag (Galadriel is my Kindle- we're good friends. She goes everywhere with me and has for 4 years or so.)
So, on the bus and thinking This trip has been so long already, it'll surely be time to get off soon. It's dark, I'd better get ready for disembarkation, in you go  Galadriel.
And up I come for some air just as this Man gets on the bus. He must have been wearing cowboy boots.... although I couldn't see his feet. But surely. Or leather biker boots. He was in jeans and a (PossiblyProbablyFake) leather jacket with shiny silver studs and buttons and rivets and things all over the shoulders and upper back and this really pretty cool black (PossiblyProbablyFake) leather cowboy hat.... and a big square brick red child's backpack on his back. The backpack had Wily E Coyote on it. I wanted so bad to get a pic but it was just too dark. K says it was surely his young son's (assuming such a child exists).
I'm here to tell you- A red Wily E Coyote backpack will undo your cool so fast.

Also there was a beggar. At a bus station. There are always beggars. Mostly they look like they need money for their next bottle of liquor or shot of something bad and illegal... or they're gypsies. This one got on and asked if anyone had any bread. I've never actually heard anyone ask for a piece of bread. I had a small bag of apples from a friend plus an apple I'd wrapped in a napkin and bagged before we left our apartment. People gave him some food and money as he moved towards the back of the bus and I dug around for the separate apple. Found a piece of chocolate candy along the way. He can have that,  too, I think. Everyone likes chocolate candy. And then Ahhh- the apple all wrapped in its napkin alone in its bag. I give it to him, he thanks everyone politely and leaves. And then I remember that there was also a small clear plastic baggie of dirty wet wipes and kleenex. And I suddenly wonder which bag I handed over. I dig. And come up with no bag at all. Neither the apple nor the garbage. Ughh.
Two hours later, I find the bag of trash and am completely overwhelmed with relief.

Also there was an overheard conversation. K was in the seat ahead of me. A man gets on and sits beside K. Thinking about our stop in the dark at an unfamiliar spot in the road, she asks him Where are we?
He names some unknown place.
Where are you going, he asks?
She says.
He says Oh that's a LONG ways yet and names off about 10 stops before ours. Then he peers at her.
Where are you from, he asks?
America, she says.
Where, he asks??
America.
WHERE??!?
She looks at him. I live in Ternopil (that's where our apartment is).
Oh, he says. Ok. Ternopil he can cope with.

2 comments: