Monday, November 17, 2014

Hello Monday!

Having never had a kidney stone, I laughed robustly (but pretty quietly) over this one. Can the I'v-had-a-kidney-stone crowd also laugh? 
It's Monday. Unlike most people, I love Mondays. And have for slightly more than 20 years now. Ever since the big 'career' change. When Sunday is your biggest day of the week well, Monday is like a breather. At least when it's a quiet day..and ours tend to be. Thankfully.
Yesterday we visited our old and blind friend out in a village. The village is down a long and very pot-holey road that winds up and down and in and out of several major ravines. To me, the village is on the way to nowhere although there must be something farther down the road. Back to our friend. He's 86, blind, poor, stubborn...and has had an interesting life. He was forced into the Russian army at some point. When he'd had enough of that, he left. Deserted, I suppose, but he's never been a fan of the Russians. He was jailed (I think for deserting) and escaped from jail. He might have done that twice. He has grown children and grandchildren. He's a widower. And he's nearing the end of his road here. When we were with him yesterday, for a little while, I thought we'd be there with him as he finished. We weren't. We left when one of his daughters came to sit with him for a while. What struck me most yesterday was how strong his will to live is. We humans hang on to life with just about everything in us, it seems. Speaking was very difficult for him but he talked about the pills he was taking to make him better.
F's eyesight has been fading for the entire 14 years I've known him. His sense of hearing has been remarkable though, and for a long time, he knew everyone that visited him by their voice. Then that faded as his hearing faded. Another thing that struck me yesterday is that his hearing is better again. He once again knew me by my voice. The pic is from 2 years ago. 

1 comment:

  1. wow, I didn't know about the Russian Army and the jail escapes!

    ReplyDelete