Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Knocking on Closed Doors

or at least on one. One morning, someone phoned me on my old number- the one I use for mobile internet but not actual phone calls. So, since the volume to that one is seldom actually on, I never heard it. 
So then there's a gentle knock on my door and this meek little voice- Uh Anita? (D) would like to talk to you. 
I glance at my very quiet phone- the one that's for talking on. And shrug- OK- Coming.
But the door stayed like this:
firmly shut. And no amount of persuasion or wiggling helped. I've never much liked that glass and considered breaking it...briefly (WHY do you need glass in the doors of rooms INSIDE a house? Esp if someone SLEEPS on the other side. Yes, I should cover it.) N is looking at it from the other side and says- There's no way to get ahold of the latch thing from here. (And Yes, I called D back on my real phone. Had the conversation. Told my predicament. He said- Uh, do you want me to come let you out? Well- since that would take at least 3 hours, I don't guess so. And everyone seemed relieved at THAT!)
So I find an empty bucket on the balcony and a ball of twine. (3 cheers for the genius who decided to keep at least some of the tool-y stuff (twine qualifies, in my book) on the balcony instead of in the toolbox in the closet in the hallway on the other side of that crazy door.)
Off to the window I go with my bucket.
And wait. See that little figure? :) My hero!
I lower the bucket to her, she puts this in and I haul it back up.
And lay into that door knob from my side. 
And was free at last! (Only to discover that there were screws on the other side, after all.... heh. See- I knew there should be but apparently there was a lack of clarity in that bit of communication and not everyone involved understood what those screws were all about. Oh well- that door knob was dangerous. I mean- what if I'd been alone?? See then the glass would have had a problem.)
So the next time- maybe I'll say- Sure D, come help us!
Or at least- Um, could you go get a neighbor and see if he can help? I mean the kind of neighbor that knows all about screwdrivers and door knobs. Not the kind that sometimes wears a skirt.
Sorry. But sometimes.... it's true.

3 comments:

  1. Things happen, it is scary to be trapped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to visit this blog more often again. I just bought my ticket to visit your part of the world this summer for a couple weeks, so this should help me learn about the country you live in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So tell me more, Mel B!!! You've got me curious!!!

      Delete