Tuesday, October 8, 2013

It just depends on where you were born

There's a new school year. In fact, it's not even that new anymore. I have a few weeks under my belt already of classes again. One of the things we've done this fall is tell a story based on a picture. Someone (some wonderful creative person) left a pile of Norman Rockwell calendar pictures. And they are great. That Mr Rockwell knew how to tell a story in brush strokes. And the kids do pretty well making up their own little tales, too. The pic below has been a fun one. 
So take a look at it and tell me what you see. 
Pretty straight forward, eh? I mean. Naughty kid. Writing lines. (And when? Can you tell me that? And WHO is that man?)

Now here's the thing- Without exception, from my students, this pic has elicited this story: The boy is in trouble with his teacher. His father comes to school with a gift for the teacher to placate her and get the son out of trouble. (Today, the word 'bribe' was used.)
The first time, I was sort of surprised and had a good look at this innocent picture. After 6 classes of the very same story, though, it's quite clear that this really is a different culture and that Rockwell depicted something that is universally recognizable by Americans.
And here's the thing- When I asked if they have 'detention' here, they just gave me blank looks. I guess not. But they do buy their way out of trouble. (Chocolate, coffee, liquor and money are preferred methods.)
Again and again and again.
Sometimes I think I'm used to the little nuances that make this place tick. And sometimes, it completely catches me off guard.
Again.

8 comments:

  1. Wow I'm the first one to comment! That's like having the first drink of an ice cold can of Pepsi!!
    Ok, down to business...
    Does this mean that you have gotten your fair share of coffee and chocolate????? In that case I would like to be your TA for a day or two and maybe one or two of your students can bribe me to give their papers back FIRST - you know, something benign like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet- Just like Pepsi- which I also love very much! You and Pepsi, that is! :)
      The thin is, my classes don't count in any way towards their grade so I'm not bribe-worthy. And, I don't have much trouble with the kids because of the nature of the classes. But you can come be my TA just any old time! And bring that darling little pink creature, too! They love the pic of her eating avocado! :)

      Delete
  2. the comments would have caught me off guard, too....it made me feel kind of sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit disheartening, alright. I read a book last winter about this part of the world at the turn of the last century and, in fact, it's been that way a LONG time.

      Delete
  3. the comments would have caught me off guard, too....it made me feel kind of sad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pix of romance 1940s. The student being punished is looking over his shoulder at his teacher being courted.Right? At least that is my western translation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting... Its hard to imagine bribery being so ingrained in there minds. (Sorry, I couldn't resist - I read your Et tu Family Circus? post before I read this one :D )

    ReplyDelete