I think I might have blogged this before but it's so good (and so easy), it seemed ok to do it again.
You don't have to start with soup stock- you can but not necessary. If you do, I'd start with chicken or pork. I boiled a chicken breast in a pot of water and then took it out and chunked it up and used it in something else. The soup itself is meatless. A friend who is allergic to MSG taught me to season soups with herbs instead of bouillon cubes or canned soups. Mostly I use basil and a mix I got in France- heavy on the basil.
Pot of chicken breast water. Salt. Lots of sage, basil and the French mix.
Cut up a zucchini-like squash and tossed into the herby chicken breast water.
Cut up pepper, celery, onions, leeks, and grated carrots and potatoes and sauteed (in butter). You can skip the sauteeing- sometimes I do; my friend who showed me how to make this never sautees. The point is to fill your kettle with all the veggies it'll hold- and nearly anything is fair game. I would NOT use broccoli, cauliflower (and not too much celery- very strong flavors) or cabbage. Boil till all the veggies are cooked.
Puree it. (I add more potatoes and puree again if it's not as thick as I'd like.)
Now- I don't know if it will be kid (or husband) friendly- but I love it! Very thick and very yummy. And lo-cal.
Soup is a staple here. I'm guessing most Ukrainians eat it once a day (or so). Oh sure, not everyone likes it but most do. And we eat a lot of it...
You don't have to start with soup stock- you can but not necessary. If you do, I'd start with chicken or pork. I boiled a chicken breast in a pot of water and then took it out and chunked it up and used it in something else. The soup itself is meatless. A friend who is allergic to MSG taught me to season soups with herbs instead of bouillon cubes or canned soups. Mostly I use basil and a mix I got in France- heavy on the basil.
Pot of chicken breast water. Salt. Lots of sage, basil and the French mix.
Cut up a zucchini-like squash and tossed into the herby chicken breast water.
Cut up pepper, celery, onions, leeks, and grated carrots and potatoes and sauteed (in butter). You can skip the sauteeing- sometimes I do; my friend who showed me how to make this never sautees. The point is to fill your kettle with all the veggies it'll hold- and nearly anything is fair game. I would NOT use broccoli, cauliflower (and not too much celery- very strong flavors) or cabbage. Boil till all the veggies are cooked.
Puree it. (I add more potatoes and puree again if it's not as thick as I'd like.)
Now- I don't know if it will be kid (or husband) friendly- but I love it! Very thick and very yummy. And lo-cal.
Soup is a staple here. I'm guessing most Ukrainians eat it once a day (or so). Oh sure, not everyone likes it but most do. And we eat a lot of it...
I'm going to try something like this soon. Sounds good.
ReplyDeleteSo how can we back here get the french mix? I'd like to use less stuff that has MSG in it.
ReplyDeleteYour Veg soup sounds good!
ReplyDeletePatty- see more recent post!
ReplyDeleteyummmm! can i copy and paste?
ReplyDelete@Mj- of course! ;)
ReplyDelete