Saturday, April 26, 2008

A really dreadful thing just happened...I dropped down in this chair for a break and thought: I'll see what's new in the (ie: MY) world. And what's new is that somebody has more April posts than me... really, I thought I was the manic poster this month. And here somebody has even more than me. OK, now that's not really why, but I did just happen to notice that she has bopped around on here more than me this month...not that THAT matters.
It has been awhile, though, and I'm sure you're dying to know the most recent what, where, and all about life here in my little corner.

Sharon A and I met up yest am in Odessa. We had breakfast at McDonald's. This is significant because McD's b'fast here means stuff like fries, fish sandwiches and cherry pie...and coffee. You actually get used to eating stuff like fish sandwiches for breakfast. Esp if it's at McD's. See, over here, for me, it's still sort of a treat to eat at McD's. It's so Ohhhhhhhhh- it's so normal. So "You-want-another-sugar-with-that?-Ok-Here-you-go.-You-don't-have-anything-but-that-10,000-hr-bill?-No big-deal-here's-your-change." (Those hyphens are for you, Duane.)

So, while at McD's, I saw this:
2 people mopping, You say. Well, not quite. 1 person mopping... and 1 person drying! Yup, drying. When I first got here, there was a whole passle of bro wrkrs up in the capitol and they did their best to look after me until Trude got there. One of the things they dutifully did for the little newbie was take me to McD's for the 'taste of home' thing. And that day, for the very 1st time in my life, I saw the mopping-drying thing. Bill was there and he said- It's a new Olympic event- synchronized mopping. It's one of those little things that's indelibly stamped on my memory. Now you know it, too...

Then we headed over to the bus station to wait for (of all things)- the bus. (Tricked you there, right?) The bus station is at the top of a High Hill. This hill:
When we lived in Odessa, we saw this hill a lot. We caught the bus to our apt on the other side of that street. It looks innocuous from here- but it was a gamble with death each time getting there. First, there's no curb or sidewalk to stand on, so after you've gone down the 110 steps you stand right at the edge of the road and wait for a break in the madly speeding traffic then dash across 2 lanes to the center. Once again, not much space there...but there are 2 tram tracks. So, look to the left- no tram- jump that track. Look to the right, no tram, jump that track. Now, look to the right again. 2 more lanes of madly rushing traffic- only there is a light not so far down the way which gives you regular breaks so it's a bit easier here. Then, you wait for your bus. That spot was never designed for picking up and dropping off passengers but has become a major stop because of the bus station and the way public transportation has evolved.
So, onward- get on bus, bus leaves. Approx 2 hours later we stop in a funky little place called Tatarbunariy. I like it because it's got such a cool name. I mean Ta-tar-bu-na-riy... it just sounds exotic or something. I also like it because it's the only stop along the whole route, so it's an ideal place to race for the bathroom.
It's also always got a row of ladies sitting on a bench selling popcorn (see pic to left) and peanuts, sunflower seeds. Not to mention a slew of kiosks/store-lets where you can buy Snickers and Pepsi (or whatever). (Can you find SA in this pic?)
And there's always a bunch of stray dogs hanging around to add spice to your life. Like these little dudes. (The barn looking thing way in the back is where the bathrooms are, if you ever need that info- well, I told you.)

6 comments:

  1. I can’t wait to get back to one of those fields with nice quiet train rides where I can sleep all night, tram-rides-for-10-cents-and-people-to-meet, even if they have nice-little-boys-that-wake-up-in-the-night. I just keep-my-earplugs-in-and-don’t-notice-when-they-get-out-at-5-am. I should put your name in a hat for a new field without train-rides-with-big-boys-that-get-drunk-and-little-boys-that-wake-you-up. I hope your readership don’t get the wrong impression. If they want I’ll have to invite them to my sunny- Ukraine-with-cheap-quiet-non-drinkin’-train-rides-with 10-cent-tea Blog. Ya zartooyou. Yes, Ukraine is going to win the synchronized mopping gold in Bejing come August. I’m glad McD’s give those moppin’ jobs to some of the deaf so they can make a good livin’. Nadiyousya shcho spetz zibrani byde xorosho tam v Iz. Tvie malenki dryg, Dima

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this is totally familiar!! today we took a taxi tho time was a crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a coincidence that you should put a comment here, Karla, as I was at your folks today and saw them again tonight in Stillwater.

    I hope Argentina isn't the same as Anteater describes things sometimes. You don't have drunks there do you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duane...I don't know how to say this, but there are noisy smelly people in the world, and there are drunks too, and Ukraine has it's unfair share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone loves my picture of McD in Odessa...what a memory...glad you and Sharon met there...a piece of home...Reta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymiskaya (*) with the noisy, smelly, drunks-in-Ukraine comment.

    Do you want to know how to put Anita's blog on your RSS feed also like those Google Docs you were askin' about?

    (*) alleykat

    ReplyDelete