Tuesday, April 5, 2011

more somewhat relevant ramblings

The drunks at the bus station Sunday night? yeah. There's more. I passed the time waiting for the bus by people-watching. There were some 'slightly smashed' adults around, too. Including a man who looked to be in his 40's or 50's. Well- remember this lady? This generic lady that's found in most bus stations around this country? She had a colleague patrolling the platforms Sunday night. A typically shaped and dressed and all that colleague- a typical woman of her job description- tough, given to loudly telling people off and being a fierce defender of her territory and rules... and built like a Mack truck. And about once every 10 minutes, she'd sidle up to the afore-mentioned drunk and let him put his arms around her and cuddle up and slur odd things to her- and the first time it happened I was close enough to realize that they were complete strangers. I'm not sure what it is about some women that makes them actually like this kind of thing. It's no wonder, though, that a lot of men will try it- mostly no one tells them to get lost. Shudder. I'm not sure if this stuff goes on back home, too, and I've just been too sheltered to know it or if it just doesn't happen. I do know what I do on the rare occasion that they try it with me. Squint my eyes like a snake and leave. You can't really talk to a drunk and you'd better not do bodily injury (even if you'd like to). And Never EVER make eye contact with a drunk. Never. I reckon a lot of this has to do with unspoken body language- and I can give off a pretty good silent growl and snarl.
And that same drunk? Later, he did sally up to us. T had gone to the store and gotten lavash- ours is about 1/2 way down this page- the Armenian soft kind (a whole page of pix- the stuff is YUMMY) and we were eating it. Up saunters Mr Drunk and says Excuse Me (in English) That is very bad for your health (in Russian). The irony of being told off by a drunk for putting something unhealthy into your body was too good for words. We collapsed in a fit of giggles on the spot. And enjoyed our lavash.

5 comments:

  1. thanks for the pics with words. feels like i've been there with you today. if you come over to visit, i promise none of us will be drunk. and would enjoy eye contact. (tee-hee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your posts - they make me smile. Glad you enjoyed your lavash - even if it was bad for your health accordign to Mr. Drunk. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He probably was hoping you agree with him and give it to him to get rid of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...I'm picturing your silent growl/snarl/snake-eyes:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, well if any of you get drunk, I'll be writing about it! ;)

    ReplyDelete