We lived in this big old farmhouse with a big old barn and a smaller and very rickety barn behind it. That barn had a steeply pitched roof that flattened out at the bottom to a much shallower pitch. We could climb up a fence at the side and get up onto the lower roof (we were about Oh, 5, 6, 7...something like that). Once up, we scooted all the way to the top of the steep roof, sat down and slid down...it was great...fantastically fun! Addictive... and proly a little dangerous; at least we were told in no uncertain terms NOT to do it.Of course, we didn't listen. I mean... come on... How many kids have their own amusement park-style slide in their backyard?
We loved it.
And Mom always knew... always. I couldn't figure out how. I mean- she was busy, babies to look after and food to cook...plus she was Dad's 'Hired Man'- milking cows and feeding calves and helping in the fields. There was no way on earth she could keep track of us every single minute, so we hung out on the barn roof...
but she always knew.
Later, I found out we were wearing out the seats of our play clothes on the rough metal roof! Well duhhhhh
What brought that back? This Baby Blues comic strip... I love it!
*AH!-SMILE* Everytime I need a smile, all I have to do is come over for a wee visit! :)
ReplyDeleteyep. try scratches on the wood floors from scooting in the laundry basket..gets my ire up every time!
ReplyDeletehaha...and we all thought moms had eyes in the back of their heads!;0) too funny...i'm sure i will have my own tell-tale signs that i'm being disobeyed when my kids get a little older...right now logan still does it in front of me to see if i'm watching...not sure at what age we learn that that's not such a bright idea!;0)
ReplyDelete:)
ReplyDeleteyikes- scratching the wood floor- that's a tad more expensive than having to replace the laundry basket!
Heather- my sister's little boy would say Go away Momma- which meant I'm going to do something I'm not supposed to. Bet he's stopped that!
Ah yes, a trip down memorie lane is always nice. We had a milkhouse roof that we could climb up and jump off of. What a treat. It was probably 8-10 feet to the ground and we thought we were big stuff to be able to jump off that.
ReplyDeleteLooks like I've got lots of "memory" reading to do on your blog.
ReplyDeletebut for now, I "tagged" you for a photo blog tag if you check my blog. :-)
Have a great day!
Diane- I was never that brave! yikes! I'll bet your kids could tell a few tales, too! ;)
ReplyDeleteJulie- I did the post finally...did you see? Maybe I should leave you a comment...