Had a fun little conversation with my Trude friend the other day. Lots of stuff covered but we finished with dogs. Lots of dogs.
And how sometimes people are like dogs. So-and-so's like a Cocker Spaniel- running around, smiling and wagging their tail.
A is a Yellow Lab- solid, dependable and true blue. Oh yeah- and blonde.
B is a German Shepherd- they have hip dysplasia (in this case a bad back but anyway- it's all the same, sort of kind of... right???)
C is a Saint Bernard- the rescue dog who's there to help.
D is a Doberman- can't remember why just now.
E is a Dalmation- genetically recessive all the way and prone to more sickness and illness than most other dogs- but beautiful and a favorite all around.
F is a Chihuahua... can't remember why... hmmm
And you're like a whippet- skinny and fast, the poor man's greyhound (this was all news to me but I just believe what I hear so it must be true...) ;)
What am I?
You?
Yes, Me.
You're one of those little pugs with squashed noses who get excited and then can't get enough air and get all wheezy and upset.
Well- you know what? That about says it. I am a lot like that bug-eyed squashed-nose pug... hyperventilation is my specialty. Just ask anyone who's had the misfortune of being around me lately. I'll bet they're really lovable and friendly and true-blue, though, those pugs. Right? Riiiiggghhhhttttttttttt???
Back to something else. Those dogs at the top? They are the New Breed of Ukrainian Mutt. Bus station dogs curled up for the night. It was pretty much late when the pic was taken so that explains (I'm sure) the poor quality of the pic. But- the New Breed of Ukrn dog. How so? (I'll tell you- just wait a minute.) Friday evening, I arrived to Central Ukr with S. I haven't spent much time here at all for about 2 1/2 years and it is GREAT to be back. One of the very first things I saw as we walked my baggage home, dodging puddles and people and dogs... Whoa- S! That dog has an ear tag! Yes, she smiles. (She's a great lover of pooches.) The city rounds up strays, spays/neuters them, tags them and releases them.
Well Wow! This is progress. When I first came here, there was some discussion- What to do to stay- Teach English? Teach English? Teach English?
The first thing about Ukr that socked me between the eyes was the sheer volume of stray dogs... and then I realized that they were very busy having puppies... lots of them... often...
I will open a not-for-profit spay/neuter clinic, I said. Which I couldn't have done, really, because my vet med education was aborted before we actually got to doing surgeries. But- I wanted to.
Well- Western Ukr! We have arrived! All over here (and in all the cities we were in this weekend) there are tagged dogs running around.
And guess what? It's quiet outside at night. There.Are.No.Dogs.Barking.Ever.
And word on the street is- They're a lot less active and behave themselves a lot better. (said with a laugh)
You know what- it really makes me happy. I'm glad- from the very bottom of my heart- that they're doing this. Someone, somewhere- after all- is not misappropriating all the public funds.
YeeHa!

I'm Husky!
ReplyDeleteRight Duane... and I'm a St. Bernard. Great post Anita!
ReplyDeleteThat is histerical about the Pug - talk about nailing it right on the head!!! I mean describing that kind of dog, not you - although we've all been there if truth be told!!
ReplyDeleteThat is great about the spaying/neutering - now if all countries could learn to do that with irresponsible adults:o) Hmmm something tells me I may want to use an alias today, maybe I'll use my Indian name...
Maybe I'm a Golden Retriever...red hair and all, and I can be a bit hyper at times. Very interesting to think about!!
ReplyDeleteI am CERTAINLY a boxer. My last co-worker said I was a boxer, with lots of energy (too much) and too excited about EVERYTHING when there is no NEED to be jumping up and down, really. :) She also made the comment that a boxer is basically an overgrown chihuahua. :) So....anyway, I thought it was fitting. But even boxers need to sleep. :) And, I really don't like boxers...
ReplyDeleteVery interesting about the spay/neuter drive. I can see how that would be very helpful.
ReplyDeleteI've been accused of being a golden but yeah... heinz 57 mutt most days.
Mel- we were riding through Kyiv with our friends yest and one of them suggested that 'cure' for the politicians! ;)
ReplyDeleteLaura- well, you don't slobber, so that's a strike against you being a boxer!
Most of us are really Mutts, I suspect! ;) Lovable tail-wagging friendly mutts!